Retailer refuses to deal with problem

danian53110

Jun 7, 2012
I have read many of the messages posted in the forum and the replies you gave.
It is nice to see that some retailers respond when a customer reminds them of their obligations dictated by law.
I have a question that no one else seems to be asking.
What do I do when a retailer simply refuses to deal with a problem and quotes their terms and conditions repeatedly and to make things even more difficult the retailer is an online one and you cannot ask to talk to the store manager. Furthermore this retailer operates within a market place that claims to give 100% guarantee for any goods purchased through their organisation but when you refer the problem to them they quote the same terms and conditions.
Where can I go for help in a case like this?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
danian53110

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
If you can give us further details, we may be able to give you more useful advice, you actually have slightly better rights when buying online because of the Distance Selling Regulations but the Sale of Goods Act still applies.

There are several things you can do if you are bing ignored, trading standards through consumer direct or ultimately a claim through the small claims court.

Please give us more detail of what you bought, when, what problems you had etc and we'll see what we can do

danian53110

Jun 7, 2012
I bought a wood garden parasol from an Amazon Market Place trader on 30 March 2012.
At the beginning of May I noticed that the pole is cracked through. I wrote to the seller and advised them of the problem and sent them photos of the damage.
They answered that the item is outside their 28 days returns policy and suggested I contact the manufacturer and BUY a new pole.
I wrote to them again quoting the sales of goods act 1979 and requested they fix the problem.
They answered along the same lines saying they stand by their decision and refused to do anything about the problem.
This time I wrote to Amazon and asked them to help and they replied that their A_Z guarantee only covers items that do not arrive, items that are not as described or items that arrived damaged.
Since I wrote to the seller quoting the sales of goods act 1979 I do not know what else I can do to get help with this issue.
Regards
danian53110

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
If the item was sold as new, they are in the UK and are a business (which being an Amazon Marketplace seller implies they are) you should send them a letter of complaint giving them 10 days to sort the problem or you will be submitting a claim in the small claims court, whether it's worth it for you to do this or not is up to you, it will cost about £25 but if you win, the seller will have to refund this to you as part of your claim. It will also place a County Court Judgement against them (often I feel well worth a £25 investment even if they never refund your money).

I trust you have already given them the feedback they deserve on Amazon?

Incidentally their 28 day return policy is in addition to your statutory rights under SOGA.