Shoes

Walkleader

Sep 26, 2012
I bought a pair of Hush Puppy shoes last year from Famous Footwear, and have worn them possibly 8 times, however for the first time, I wore them in the rain two days ago, within 100 metres my socks around my toes were becoming wet. I have about 15 pairs of shoes mostly leather and I have never experienced inbound water leakage such as this ever. Is it not reasonable for me to expect that any leather shoe I buy will resist for a time the intrusion of water?. If this is not true then I cannot wear these shoes in any other than guaranteed dry conditions, which is not reasonable in this country. They don’t state that the above is to be expected if it rains. Therefore I would expect to be able to return them to the shop for a refund having bought them in good faith that they would protect my feet in all reasonable weather conditions . Is this a valid complaint?

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi,
Your statement with regards to not stating the above etc.. Would be incorrect, if the reverse was correct ie, they state 'complete protection in the rain' or state in some way or form, be it through packaging, sales technique etc and if this was not the case, then yes you could return them.
Does this make sense?

The point I'm trying to make is this, a manufacturer/supplier cannot list all things that the product will not do, as this list could be endless. They are only required to not make false representations and to only state what the product WILL do. Not what they won't. Otherwise (though highly un-realistic) a shoe manufacturer would be required to state 'these shoes won't cook your dinner' ..

I'm going to stop writing now, I think I've made this a big mess lol.

Walkleader

Sep 26, 2012
Is it not reasonable though to expect a pair of shoes to keep you dry for a period of time, I've never experienced this before with leather shoes???

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Is it not reasonable though to expect a pair of shoes to keep you dry for a period of time, I've never experienced this before with leather shoes???
Well yes, but are we talking about expectations or product claims?
If you're unhappy though, vent your frustration to the supplier, maybe there have been previous problems that they're happy to rectify.
Also remember not to be blagged off to the manufacturer, your contract lies with the supplier.

Walkleader

Sep 26, 2012
Just taken shoes back to retailer and had full refund, thanks to A Lewis for the help in resolving this grey area.:)