Warranty on replaced goods

snowyirv46

Sep 9, 2012
I purchased a blow torch from Screwfix and it failed with just 10 days to go on the statutory warranty I took it back and it was replaced .That was on the 7th March.The replacement has also failed with the same problem so I took it back and was told that the warranty had run out.Does the warranty revert back to the original purchase date or should I have a new warranty on the replacement.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
This isn't actually specified anywhere so it's a bit of a grey area, I think that the replacement goods are new so should last and be covered for failure, my colleague believes that the warranty period only covers the goods from the purchase date so replacements aren't covered.

I suppose it's all down to the wording on the warranty, if it says from the date of purchase then it runs out 12 months from then.

Another point I've seen raised is that if you got a new warranty on replacement goods, there would be nothing stopping you taking goods back every year after 11 months and getting perpetual new goods.

Sorry can't give you a definitive answer :eek:

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Warranties are only valid from original purchase date. Which is highly unfair if your product fails with 1 month to go, as replacements would have 1 month warranty left. (however don't forget that warranties are in addition to your statutory rights. Meaning goods still have to last a reasonable length of time!)
Some companies give new warranties on all new products, though they dont have to do this.

Can't remember where I saw this but it was only maybe 3 days ago lol.
Sorry it's not what you wanted to hear.