What are my rights

catroberts

Oct 18, 2012
Hi There, i bought a car at 2pm today. the car dealer company said they were going to put it on the forecourt for £1900 but i could buy it as trade for £1500. i managed to get him to agree to sell me the car for £1400. it had been valeted and i took it for a test drive and all seemed well so i bought the car sold as seen. as of 7 pm tonight the car will not start, it is completely dead. i have not even had the car for 24 hours and would like to know where i stand in regards to this ? if you could please give suggestions or advice i would be most grateful... thanks:mad:

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Fortunately for you a second hand car must move down a road so you have the right to ask them to sort it, may be worth checking the battery leads before you do tho, it could be something as simple as a loose connection!

catroberts

Oct 18, 2012
Hi,

the dealer said he would sell it to me as trade, which means sold as seen as he had not yet put it on the forecourt. i have since looked on trading standards and discovered a trader can not sell as trade tp a consumer only to another trader.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Bit of smoke and mirrors to make you think you're getting a bargain, he sold it you as a consumer, no matter what he said.

No such thing as buying a car 'sold as seen' from a trader unless he pointed out all the faults and gave you the option of still buying it despite this.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Exactly what I was thinking. The trader cannot sell you a vehicle and say that he has sold it as if you were acting in the course of a business unless you specifically said to them that you were doing so.

Either way, consumer / business , all cars sold (other than scrap etc) must be roadworthy as per the Road Traffic Act, but of course, you still have SOGA S14(2) here as it was purchased from a dealer. There's no such thing as Sold as seen anymore unless a description is provided and all faults pointed out.