What are my rights?

kezza2304

Jan 19, 2013
Hi everyone, just want a bit of advice please!

I took my faulty GHD hair straighteners into a local shop for repair and was told after several weeks (emails and phone calls to the shop!) that they would be £80 to repair. I declined the repair and said I would go in and pick up the faulty item. When I went in I was told they couldn't find them, they took my number and said they would ring me.
Several weeks later - and no phone call I rang them only to be tole=d they had thrown them away!!! Do I have any rights here as they were still my property which I was trying to get back? They have offered me £20 'compensation' for a £120 pair of straighteners, I know they were damaged but they were still mine!
Hope you can help

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Of course you have rights to either your straighteners back or a replacement, they have a duty of care when they take possession of someone elses property and they must return it.

kezza2304

Jan 19, 2013
So do they legally have to buy me a new pair of straighteners or just replace them with a broken pair or do you think I should accept the £20 they offered me?

Many thanks

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I suppose if they have straighteners with exactly the same fault as your had they could offer them to you but the chances are pretty slim aren't they?

No I wouldn't accept £20 for £120 straightners, broken or not, you may have been able to get them repaired elsewhere much cheaper but you'll never know now will you?

kezza2304

Jan 19, 2013
Okay, thanks for your help. I will get back in contact with them and tell them I am not accepting their offer.