What is the point of Matalan cards?

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
To shop in my local Matalan store, I have to have to produce a membership card or give my name and postcode to the cashier for her to confirm my membership. Matalan is not a 'trade only' store. Anybody who gives their name, address and a few other details can have a Matalan card and shop there. So what's the point? Having a membership card doesn't even offer any other benefits such as points or money off vouchers.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
So they can track your purchases, that's about all.

I remember once I wanted to nip into one as I urgently needed a fleece for warming up before refereeing football games. This was back in the day when you had to show it just to get in. I explained that I didn't have a card and needed to check if they had the type I needed. She wouldn't budge, and I wasn't going to stand there filling out my details for no reason. So they lost a potential customer.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Presumably an awful lot of money goes in to customer research and ensuring the shop is always one step ahead of the game. This must be one of the ways in which they do it. Who takes the time these days to fill in questionnaires?

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
Tesco have been tracking my purchases for as long as I can remember through my clubcard, which I don't mind too much as I benefit from the clubcard points, and I am not required to produce my clubcard to shop at Tesco.

Pevalwen

Mar 4, 2013
A Matalan card is a reward card, the reward being that only cardholders get the discounts in store. Additonally, they are entered into prize draws and sent birthday vouchers; if they spend over a certain amount in one year, they recieve a black card which increases their offers. Cardholders are occasionally sent catalogues with information on new stock and sales, these catalogues often including money-off vouchers. It is also used to track purchases so can be used as an alternative to a receipt. They used to cost £1 to get but are now free. I used to not really understand why Matalan had them but since working there, I do realise that people with cards do tend to save quite a bit of money when they have them. Sometimes someone will buy stuff with lots of offers on it but refuse to get a card.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
It's quite obvious really, the offers they provide are all a screen.. They are profiling people, having targeted marketing by giving offers on what you want. Generating a buzz about the brand, all in the name of profit.
Giving you a black card if you spend a certain amount, oh wow, must spend lots of money then to achieve the black card goal!
There's nothing else to it, it's a business, they make money, it's what they do.

Reactions: riccy