In the past when interconnects for audio and visual equipment were analogue the quality of the cable would make a real difference to image and sound quality. However, the same cannot be said of digital interconnects such as HDMI cables. These either work or they don’t work; and there is no difference between a cheap £10 and a £40 cable. The retailers make a small fortune out of these expensive cables as the mark-up can be as high as 80%. In fact, many retailers rely heavily on this as a major source of income due to the high margins and the fact the margins are low on the main products. They know that they can take advantage of consumer ignorance for cables and other accessories as most buyers will not have researched the true value of these.
Join our Consumer Forums. Make sure your consumer complaint is heard, help others, and get advice from consumer rights experts.
- Faulty Laptop Your Rights posted on 8 June
- Buying Clothing and Footwear posted on 3 July
- Consumer rights when buying a sofa posted on 30 January
- Returning Damaged or Faulty Goods posted on 6 August
- The shop doesn’t want to know – they say it’s the manufacturer’s responsibility posted on 30 June
- Guide to Roofing 13 December
- How To Select A Landscape Gardener 8 October
- GDPR: What Consumers Need to Know About New Data Protections 23 February
- Identity Theft 25 January
- Credit and Debit Cards 4 April
7 Day Cooling Off Period APR Bank Charges Banking Breach of Contract Buying off the Internet buying online Cancellation Period Cars Compensation Consumer Advice Consumer Credit Act Consumer Direct Consumer Protection Consumer Rights Consumers Legal Rights cooling off period Credit Agreements Credit Card Fraud Credit Cards Credit Cards Equal Liability distance selling Distance Selling Regulations energy saving food Getting a refund getting your money back Gym Membership junk mail mail order mobile phone moneysaving Money Saving Money Saving Tips OFT Quality refund right to cancel sale of goods act Scams Section 75 Statutory Rights Utilities Visa Debit Chargeback Which?