The importance of phoning around

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
So we all know this already, but sometimes it's easier just to renew an existing insurance policy, isn't it? A cautionary tale - I was about to renew my car insurance with Admiral, for £289. We phoned round a bit and got a quote from Elephant for £180 - once we asked, Admiral said they'd match it. Over a hundred quid saved, just like that, and without the hassle of applying for a new policy.

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
Car Insurance Renewals

Actually...Admiral and Elephant are the same company! However, I have also heard that if you phone up your existing insurer and get a quote (as a new customer), it is usually cheaper than the renewal quote...

I've not tried this...but would appreciate any feedback from someone who has.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Oops my Tesco car insurance just automatically renewed on the 21/09. At least it did one of my friends had a crash the day after his car insurance expired and had to pay out £6,000, but that's another topic. I wonder whether their is a cooling off period - I'll check this out.

Tony

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Yes, we eventually figured out that Admiral and Elephant were the same company when we phoned Admiral and they were able to see the quote Elephant had given us! Which makes it all the more dodgy that if we hadn't asked, Admiral would just have automatically renewed our insurance at the previous, higher rate. I read somewhere recently that car insurance companies make most of their money from people renewing - they offer good deals to new customers to entice you in and then just keep charging you more and more, relying on you allowing your cover to automatically renew.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Oops my Tesco car insurance just automatically renewed on the 21/09. At least it did one of my friends had a crash the day after his car insurance expired and had to pay out £6,000, but that's another topic. I wonder whether their is a cooling off period - I'll check this out.

Tony

Just to confirm there is of course a 14 day cooling off period as a renewal is a new car insurance agreement. I did have a look around, but couldn't find anything cheaper, so they don't always rip off existing customers :)

Tony

pokerface

Oct 1, 2008
I renewed with elephant recently. I did numerous quotes online to see if I could get a better renewal both with elephant and other insurers, and the closest I could find to my renewal was DOUBLE the price of my renewal with elephant

DanMorris2

Nov 7, 2008
Tesco seem to be doing some good deals on insurance at the moment if you phone to cancel/discuss a polocy renewal... I wasn't happy with the new home insurance quote, quickly searched for some better deals and then called to decline the auotmatic renewal. before I knew it they'd cut about 20% of the previous quote and beat the others by a few quid too. Definitely worth throwing your weight around at the moment.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Thanks for the reminder I have just received a renewal notice for my Churchill home insurance. It is so easy to just forget about these and let it renew. One thing that is worth noting, even if it does automatically renew you still have a 14 day colling off period.

Tony