Damaged table from Heals

homara

Sep 4, 2009
Seeking advice on a current problem. Wonder if anyone can help?

I ordered an oak dining table and eight chairs from Heals, approximately 14 weeks ago. The table was ordered as a bespoke special order item but the chairs were ordered from stock. It was clearly written on my invoice that the orders were linked and there should be only one delivery.

The table was delivered to me a couple of weeks ago, but not the chairs (I was informed that they would follow in a few weeks time). First error on Heals' part! Upon unpacking the table, the couriers and myself noticed that there were several areas of damage to the item. We immediately informed Heals, both verbally and in writing. The couriers left, stating that they would have to leave the table at my house and that Heals would contact me again shortly. I wasn't really happy about the damaged table being left but felt I had little option at the time as the couriers were independent of Heals. Anyway, Heals did contact me and asked if I would take photographs of the damage and email the pics to them. I wasn't happy with this request (I'm no budding photographer and so couldn't be certain that my shots would capture the damage adequately) and so requested that a Heals rep come out and inspect the damage. They replied that they would arrange same for three weeks time. Again, I wasn't happy with this. Seemed far too long to have to wait. I believed it unnacceptable that a damaged £3,000 table (which I'd already paid for) would have to sit in my property for three weeks just waiting for a technician to assess same. Furthermore, they would then need to order a replacement which would take a further three months to make and deliver from Italy! I voiced my concerns and requested that the technicians visit be brought forward. This request was made just over a week ago. They have not yet complied with my request but have today requested a balance of £1,600 owing on the chairs as they now wish to arrange delivery!

I'm really unhappy about being left with this damaged table, particularly as they were informed of the damage immediately upon delivery whilst the couriers were still at my home. What are my rights? Can I insist they remove it and immediately arrange a replacement? Can I request a refund (although I don't really want this at the moment). Can I request that the chairs be delivered and paid for only when my replacement table has arrived (as originally stipulated at time of order and documented on order by Heals).

Any advice would be gratefully received.