Who owns my faulty ps3 after a refund?

Sean_Mcr

Apr 19, 2010
Hi

Last week my PS3 suffered the ylod. It was fourteen months out of its warranty so I made a claim against Currys under the sale of goods act. To Currys credit they made an offer to repair the console which I declined. They then offered me £131 which would have been the cost to them of the repair. I decided to take the cash and I’m quite pleased with how smoothly it’s all gone, they didn’t even ask for an independent report. There’s just one thing…

I had to take the PS3 up to my local branch to make sure it hadn't been dropped/misused etc. To my surprise, not only did they want to check the ps3, they wanted to take permanent possession of it. Do they have the right to do that? By agreeing to take the £131 have I given up ownership of my broken ps3? I could get the PS3 fixed for £50 at a place near me. All my photographs etc are still on it. Am I expecting too much to get the refund whilst holding on to the console at the same time? I have a feeling that it’s going to end up being offered as a refurb to another victim of the ylod

Cheers

Sean

Sean_Mcr

Apr 19, 2010
Well I've since been told that I can come and collect the console from the branch I left it with. I get the £131 and the console back and everything was delt with in the space of a week.

Thank you Tony, for the article on faulty PS3's. It was a big help

Cheers

Sean