First post: 4th replacement PS3 faulty, please help

tpritchard

Apr 24, 2010
Hi all!

I've been having a right old time with my series of PS3s. My 60gb which I bought out of warranty in June '09 died in November due to YLOD and I had it replaced with a 160gb directly through Sony, for £131. This 2nd PS3 turned out to be faulty, as the fans came on after a maximum of 15 minutes at full blast, blowing out cold air for lengths of up to an hour (the system never gets hot before doing it and my room is freezing and the humidity is low). So I called Sony up and had this replaced with a 3rd unit, which also turned out to be faulty as the Bluetooth reciever was dying (my Bluetooth devices all kept disconnecting). And now I'm on my 4th one, which is doing exactly the same thing as my 2nd.

I called Sony up requesting my money back but they wouldn't budge so I've asked to be put through to the managers, and waiting for a callback now. Basically, I'm not willing to get another unit from them as they're clearly constantly sending me faulty rerfurbs. I'd really appreciate advice on what laws I can use to my advantage so that I can get my £131 back and maybe even keep the console. Also, is it possible to get the full £240 out of them? The current console is still well inside the 3 month warranty and I think it may still be within 28 days of reciept by me.

When I called them up, the man at Sony gave me a load of gumpf about me having to take this 4th unit back to the original retaillers of my first console (the 60gb) if I want to request money back. I bought the 60gb off eBay and it was out of warranty and I don't have it anymore so that obviously isn't an option. And I paid Sony £131 directly for these consoles and they've all turned out faulty. I'm not satisfied with these events and I simply want my money back. I'm aware of European Directive 1999/44/EC and the Sale of Goods Act but not quite sure how they work. Please help! Thanks :)

Chonger

Feb 1, 2010
Hi...i seem to again have a similar story with you.

After forking out the money for a refurbished model to sony, i am currently on my 3rd model, which i have no had a few weeks and crashes, freezes and is faulty.
Again im goin to have to organise sony to send me yet another replacement that probably will have the same life span.

I wondered why they only give 3month warranty to peeps...
So thats all i will do, every 2 months decide to call them up and explain its faulty and they should swap it again with a new, no wait refurbished one....i will just keep doin this until i get a console that works fine or i get bored of my PS3...kind of wish i kept my original it lasted longer than these refurbs have...
I think if you have reccurent issues sony should just bite the bullet and help out there long term gamers...chuck these faulty things away and give us a slim or something.
Good luck