Softening up?

greatscotuk

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
I believe this is a good 'beta test' for the I.D. cards. There is much controversy over the ID cards, so by giving them to those new to this country, they cannot object because it's just another bit of documentation they need as a British Citizen. So yes, in many ways they are the guinea pigs but I believe it is a good thing. It will hopefully demonstrate to those dead against it, that it isn't such a bad thing.

I have no problem with I.D. badges, or CCTV etc.. I feel that if you've done nothing wrong then you have nothing to hide.

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
I am not in favour of ID cards, notwithstanding the "if you've done nothing wrong you've got nothing to hide" argument. I hide my bank PIN and my computer password, and, like most people, I only share details about my personal life with my close friends and family. I don't do this because I have done anything wrong, but because my personal details are nobody else's business. If my privacy is to be invaded to the extent that extensive information about me is to be held on a National Identity Register, which will be built and maintained at my expense, then I would like a clear explanation of what the benefits will be to me, and so far I haven't seen that. All I've heard is vague assertions that the scheme will help to fight terrorism and prevent fraud, with no explanation of how this will happen.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
I must admit, I am a little fuzzy on how ID cards will stop terrorism myself. I think it is a little naive to assume that a suicide bomber intent on causing death in the name of Jihad, will think "Well, I was going to do it, but I am afraid, I haven't got an I.D card, so that's me scuppered... Unless they'll accept my Library card instead? It does have a couple of books overdue, will that matter?"

There seems to be some kind of collective belief shared by the powers that be in this country, that if we have the details of everyone on a computer somewhere, we will live in a Miltonian paradise. It is utter nonsense. While I can understand the use of CCTV in certain areas to combat unrest, violence and crime, the I.D card system to me seems simply a waste of money. It is not going to stop the root cause of terrorism, nor asylum seekers. The cards will be copied, the system will be flawed, loopholes will be created and the abuse of the system will continue. There are already supposedly safeguards in place to stop this, which don't work properly if at all. The I.D card will be exactly the same, only waste more public money in the process to set up.

Matt26

Facilitator
Aug 27, 2008
Guildford
A friend of mine's dad is a retired army major. If you were being judgemental, maybe one of the types of people who you'd expect to be all for ID cards.

Thing is though, he told me a very interesting story last week.

When he was serving in Northern Ireland in the late eighties the higher ups wanted to initiate an ID card system for access to the base, a move he vehemently opposed.

His reasoning was thus, it's an excercise in A**e covering. An ID card merely provides cover. If a guy does get into the base who shouldn't, no one is to blame - he had a card. Also that it erodes the idea of personal competency and judgement in security staff by reducing them to box tickers. This is pretty boring and people in boring jobs soon get sloppy.

I think he's got a point.