Boiler Miss-sold

Gypsylady

May 7, 2010
Hi there.
Wondered if anyone could give some advice.

Recently our old boiler gave up the ghost so we looked to replace with a condenser boiler.

Had 3 plumbers give us quotes and decided to choose the plumber who confirmed that we were eligible for the government scrappage scheme. Seemed to know what he was talking about.

Got quotes from him for 3 different boilers £1195, £1395, £1595.

Took his advice and agreed to have the middle priced one fitted.

After 2 weeks we'd had him back and decided to contact the maintenance engineer as the boiler was constantly throwing our error messages and the boiler kept rattling and the safety valve kept blowing off.

The engineer changed the 'thermocoupling' (think that was it).

Then came back again after that didnt work to fit a new circuit board.

Within another 2 weeks we had no hot water or heating and just listened to the gurgling coming from the spare room as the new boiler chuntered away to itself.

After 2 weeks without anything the engineer ordered and fitted another new boiler.

Well we've had this one less than a week and the error messages are starting.

A phone call to the engineer and he says

'The pump in this boiler has only a small bore so the muck in your system seems to be blocking it. You should have a filter in the system. You should contact your fitter and ask him to fit a filter. When that's done I'll come and fit a new pump for you'

We phoned the fitter.

The conversation ran along these lines.
'I can fit a magnafilter for another £175.'
'Should a filter not be fitted as standard with this boiler as the pump has only a small bore?'
'Yes. But when I put the price of a filter in with my quote I dont get the sale. So I dont quote for a filter'

How do we stand regarding being miss-sold this condenser boiler as I am very upset about this 'hidden' cost?

Thanks all

Gypsylady

May 7, 2010
Is there anyone who can give us some advise about our boiler purchase.

I feel that I wasnt given all the information to be able to make an informed judgement about which boiler to choose, consequently we are paying more than originally planned for.