Do you ask for discount?

gkd_uk

May 6, 2008
Hi

Do you ask for discount when you go out to purchase furniture or are you to shy to ask?

I don't always ask for discount but think I need to.

Last edited:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Generally no, but you should. Often it is easier to get them to throw in extras rather than give a discount.

incognito

May 6, 2008
Hi

Do you ask for discount when you go out to purchase furniture or are you to shy to ask?

I don't always ask for discount but think I need to.

I have never done this before but I usually wait till there is sales before buying my furniture.

James

May 3, 2008
Lol - those furniture shops always have a so called sale on. It is a con. The only furniture retailer I trust is Ikea.

J.

gkd_uk

May 6, 2008
Most people feel shy asking for discount. I don't see any reason why they should.

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
It's madness not to ask for discount...particularly in furniture stores.

The mark-up on furniture is around 400%. This is FACT...I've done some consulting work in this industry...and I was horrified!

Additionally, competition is fierce and consumer spending is slowing down...so these companies are desperate to sell to you. This is particularly the case when the salesperson is working on a commission basis...YOU have THEM over a barrel!

Make them a final offer and then tell them to take or leave it...and then walk out of the store if they don't take it. I'll bet that, if you make them a SENSIBLE offer, they'll offer it to you just as it looks like you really are going to leave.

In legal terms, a price tag is simply an INVITATION to buy at that price...not a definitive set in stone price.

Remember....just because you've earned it, doesn't mean you have to spend it!

Any amount of money that stays in YOUR pocket is better than disappearing off into the salesman's or company shareholders'!

Paul Carcone

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Paul,

I think you are right these shops are about 400% more expensive than Ikea which represents the true value of goods. All that extra profit is taken up with massive showrooms in prime locations and TV advertising. There are several of these near me and they always seem to be empty.

Tony