Motor car Right to terminate credit agreement

spottedhaggis

Jul 16, 2010
Hi all.

Newbie here, looking for some general advice.

About 8 years ago I handed my credit agreement car back to the finance company with a cheque to meet the required half way mark. The credit company in question (no names) decided to take me to court for the outstanding amount, after 8 months in and out of court the judge agreed they had made an error in their paperwork (the cheque was not in my name but was taken from the account and put against the car payments but they argued no letter had been sent with the cheque, an impossible thing since without the letter they would not have know the cheque was to come off my account) anyway it ended with them looking very stupid.

I am at a similar stage yet again. my car has 90k on the clock and is a little over 8 years old, I consider it to be in pretty good condition for age and miles, everything works with a couple of exceptions (one electric window cable snaped and a small crack on the wing mirror glass) It has a new MOT etc.

I contacted the credit company informing them I wanted to terminate the agreement as per the clause, they agreed that I had met the requirements and then charged me £135 for collection of the car (they are 110 miles away)

I paid without knowing they are not meant to charge me.

My worry now is that I have a letter they want signed which basically says, I agree that I am handing the car back to them, and any sale proceeds will go towards the agreement credit outstanding and that I will be liable for any remaining amount on the agreement.

My understanding is that as long as I have taken reasonable care of the car I can hand it back after meeting the contract obligations and owe nothing.

How does one define reasonable care? remember it is 8 years old with 90k on the clock. not forgetting its a Renault!

Any advice?