Cold Calling by phone

Robert Glyn

Jul 31, 2010
Westward Ho!, North Devon
Cold call from software company claiming computer was 'at risk'. My friend paid £155 for a service she did not need or require. Service included taking control of her computer via internet and examining it and downloading lots of 'free' programs.Anybody else sufferred from this software company which I can name but wont just yet as we are hoping to get money refunded.

Leon

Jul 28, 2012
Hi,
I know this is an old post but it seems they are still at it !

I have had several calls over the last year (from chaps with Indian/Pakistani accents) telling me my computer has a virus. When I asked them how they knew and asked for their details they hung up. Number was witheld of course.
It seems if they can persuade you to let them talk you through a number of steps they actually put a virus on your computer which they then ask you for money to fix.
They say they are from Microsoft but that company knows nothing about them.

If they ring you, just hang up.

nads205

Nov 30, 2012
Hi Leon,

I know for a fact this is a scam. It was reported by the local police recently.

It's sad to see people fall for this scam and actually pay them.

I wonder how much money they make - £155 a few times a day and it sounds like a lucrative business :(

jackomolight

Dec 21, 2012
That scam was quite popular a while ago. However there a number of similar scams equally popular especially where I come from.

MC123

Mar 11, 2013
I have had similar issues before, and was told it was a scam by the authorities. Not sure about how to remove yourself from the databases though sorry.