O2 trying to change the rules

JamesF

Aug 4, 2010
I consider myself to be a "power user" when it comes to the internet. When I changed subscribers a few months ago, I specifically looked for "unlimited" cap, and good reliability, and my research came up with O2. I read through the T&Cs and they had the following regarding fair usage:

Unless you are a customer signing up or moving to our Access package after 14th July 2010, there is no limit on the monthly network usage. However if we feel that your activities are so excessive that other customers are detrimentally affected, we may give you a written warning (by email or otherwise). In extreme circumstances, if the levels of activity do not immediately decrease after the warning, we may terminate or suspend your Services.
Now untill today, I have had no problems, the speeds and reliability are great. However, today we recieved a call to say that we have been using "exessive" amounts of bandwidth. Specifically, they now consider anything over 40 GB to be excessive (Apparently we used a whole 76 GBs this month).

Now, I wasn't in when the call happened, so I have yet to speak to them regarding this, but I have done a little bit of maths regarding this:

I pay for: 744 (roughly) hours a month of "unlimited" broadband service
According to O2, this actually entitles me to:
46 hours high def youtube or 40 hours of iplayer type streaming or if I want to download anything at full speed, I get 13 hours.

Thats right, according to O2, using the full capacity of my broadband for a whole 1% of the month takes me over their fair usage policy, on an unlimited service.

What do I expect? Nothing. I'm sure O2 will stick to thier guns, say that its "policy" and I will end up cancelling. As much as anything I just wanted to rant. I signed up because I was specifically told that O2 was one of the few that don't do this kind of thing. I guess I just wanted to try and save a few people from signing up based on a reputation it no longer deserves.

digital_gain

Oct 12, 2010
40GB is deemed excessive? WTF
I can download that in about 45 minutes on my connection lol
I have BT ADSL2+ and there fair usage is 300gb a month (once you hit this they implement IP profile shaping on the DSLAM for the rest of that month)
(which is fair enough)
but 40gb is supposedly unlimted on O2 lmfao

all the smaller ISP`s are rubbish,
O2,Tiscali,Talk Talk,Plusnet etc etc

Sky Bethere & BT all provide good service (BT`s customer support is wank though) but as they deliver ADSLMax & ADSL2+ over your phonline then you have to check how far from the exchange you are before migrating to them
anything over 4000metres from the exchange means you will only get about 2mb on ADSLMax & ADSL2+
ADSLMax = upto 8mb
ADSL2+ = upto 24mb (theoretically it should be named upto 20mb as NO ONE will ever get over 20mb even living next door to the exchange