sold cat b car

deanowj

Aug 20, 2010
i have recently purchased peugeot 206 hdi from a dealer for £4625 , the car was advertised as clean , ie not recorded, the dealer sent the log book off , 6 weeks later i was contacted bt the dvla stating that the car was accident damaged and they would not issue me with a logbook , until a VIC was obtained.Did a HIP check and found the car was a cat B insurance write off should not be on the road , either the chassis or shell should have been scrapped , and the vehicle used for parts only. Have contacted dealer numerous times, has offered me first £2000 and now £3400 to buy the car back or take him to court and in his words be tied up for months ! i have researched the company online and this seems to be a common occurrance for them. Have contacted trading standards and police , not much joy there.
So will have to take them to small claims court , although it is a ltd company and they have a habit of dissolving companies and starting up new ones.
Should i just take the money offered or is there anything else to do! Help!!:(

nmonline

Oct 24, 2010
Hi, sorry to hear about your situation. you're in a real predicament if he's in the habit of "reincarnating" himself. If you think he's unlikely to be there to prosecute, then it maybe worth accepting his offer. By the sound of him, he's likely to be sloppy with paperwork, and if he just hands over the cash in exchange for the car, I would then pursue him in court for the rest! Did you get an original invoice?