Electricity prices

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
A salesman from Scottish Power turned up at my door the other day. He started by claiming that there had been complaints from people in the area so he was here to check them out. It quickly transpired that he was actually there to tell me that my current electricity suppliers, nPower, were charging me a premium on my supply, that Scottish Power still supplies all electricity and that they would always be cheaper than any other supplier.

I eventually got rid of him and am not planning to change supplier right now as I'm still hoping to sell my house soon, but is there any truth in what he's saying, or is it just a sales pitch?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
He is talking absolute rubbish. The generation of electricity and retail sales are different. All the electricity produced goes into the grid which is like a big battery and Scottish Power does provide power to the grid. I do, however, use Scottish Power, and they were cheaper for me, but the cost depends on the amount of power you use. You should dig out some old bills and head over to uswitch.com

Tony

barbarp

Facilitator
Aug 20, 2008
Dorset
:mad: I get really cross when these door step salesman do this, they are not supposed to because it's misselling to try and bully someone into buying a service or tell them lies in order to scare them.
You are well within your rights to ring mpower and complain {the salesmen come from a different company but they are working on behalf of Mpower so it's their responsibility!!}
I ended up complaining because there was one on my doorstep who wouldn't go away and was trying to intimidate. we live in an area with a lot of elderly vulnerable people who get very frightened by this sort of thing and end up getting conned into spending more money than they should!
I'm also a scottish power customer and generally we've had excellent service from them so if any sellers do come to the door I just say I'm perfectly capable of using Uswitch and tell them to go away.