H&M refusing exchange or refund...

curtiskid

Sep 5, 2010
On the 17th August 2010 I purchased a leather jacket in H&M for £79.99 in very good faith as I have never had any problem in my dealings with H&M. I was immensely pleased with my new purchase, actually I was quite excited to get home and flaunt myself around my flat with this new apparel. That evening I arrived home and tried this new purchase on once again and was rather damn pleased with myself. It looked good, damn good in my opinion. I then started to hunt for inside pockets when I found one inside, close to the zip. I opened this inside pocket to reveal that the backing was not stitched and so it looked as if I found a dual pocket setup in my new jacket. Although this seemed an added bonus, two pockets for the price of one I concluded that this state would no doubt worsen over time and the existing stitching would unravel.

The next day (the 18th and, I hasten to add less than 24 hours after purchase) I returned to the store, picked up a replacement that I checked for faults and proceeded to the checkouts. It was a simple swap, faulty jacket for non-faulty jacket but unbeknown to me, this would no be so simple. Enter H&M’s returns policy, quality control and menswear manager who doesn’t understand the Sales of Goods Act 1979.

I was introduced to this returns policy and my first impression was that it put me in the pigeon hole labelled, “This customer may have damaged this garment on purpose - make them wait, oh and keep their money”. This menswear manager at the store completed a quality control form which I had complet to with my name, address and mobile telephone number and while she processed this, she kept on stating it was company policy to follow this procedure. I wanted a simple exchange but I was denied this and a refund. I left the store with my receipt, no replacement and this quality control form.

On the 2nd September I visited the store again, requesting to speak to the manager. I explained what had happened and that I had been waiting two weeks already and her answer was, “we haven’t heard from head office”. What has happened to keeping the customer informed? How about phoning head office now? Oh, that was too much to ask. I then asked why I should be out of pocket while this whole thing is going on to which she replied, “You agreed to the quality control”. I agreed to the quality control? I think she’ll find I had absolutely no choice in this matter. Originally, I wanted an exchange but when that was declined, I wanted a refund. But told “it was company policy” and some spiel about quality control.

Later that day I listened to a voicemail message left by the H&M manager. It said, "unfortunately it [the jacket] has failed quality control therefore you are not entitled to a refund or exchange". You can imagine the fury pumping through my veins?

I have written a letter to the store rejecting the goods while quoting the Sales of Goods Act and another to their head office detailing my treatment. I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with returning goods to a store and/or returning goods to an H&M store. What I have heard and read on the internet is that H&M policy is effectively such that the customer is wrong until they prove themselves right. In the meantime, I am in contact with Consumer Direct who are flipping marvelous! :)