What will happen to my cheque?

teamanp

Sep 9, 2010
I purchase a 3 & 2 seater sofas from Exclusive Leather Sofas for £698 on 30th August I paid £50 deposit in cash and was told by the salesperson I had to pay the outstanding balance by 3rd September, I got a Nationwide Building Society cheque for £648 and went a day earlier to pay ELS on 2nd September. On 8th September in our local newpaper I read that Exclusive Leather Sofas had been "mobbed by angry customers" as it had ceased trading. The next day 9th September I went to our local Nationwide BS to see if ELS had cashed our cheque and as they had not I asked the Nationwide BS to cancel the cheque but they said they could not has it had not been lost in the post or been stolen, although in effect it has been stolen as I have not received the sofas. We now know that the company ceased trading on 3rd September and we have not had any sofas or have a clue what will happen to our cheque. Will the cheque be returned to Nationwide BS or myself or will the liquidators cash the cheque for distribution among the creditors?

tradedemon

Sep 16, 2010
A worrying situation I must say. But why can't you just ask them to cancel the cheque, ask to see the manager and explain the situation they maybe able to help you if you escalate higher.

Good luck!

teamanp

Sep 9, 2010
Today received this letter from manageress of Bilston Nationwide Branch
In response to your letter dated 10th September and our conversation I would just like to put in writing as requested that the Society can only stop a cheque if it has been stolen or lost.
Our corparate cheques are a legal garanteed form of payment.
When I spoke to you and explained how I had spoken to head office to see if there was anything we could do, I advised you to go to the administrator's of the suite company as this was who would have to deal with your purchase.
regards
Sarah Wallace (branch manager)

tradedemon

Sep 16, 2010
not good news then really . I see you paid with some sort of corporate cheque. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have had a problem if you paid with a personal cheque.

Sorry to hear the above btw :( It always pisses me off when following the rules the wrong people get burnt.

Lets just hope you can get something positive from the liquidators. or alternatively can you not empty that account so that when the come to cash it will bounce.