Gas Supply connection ~ Please advise on cost involved

BANDHIT

Oct 5, 2008
Hi,
Could someone please advise?
My Grandpa lived in a terraced street for many years and eventually became ill and had to come and stay with us. His house was not sold, but remained unlived in for almost 15 years.

Recently, after he passed away, I thought it may be a good idea to keep the house in the family, so instead of selling it, decided to modernise it with a view to letting it out.

Amongst the building work undertaken we had an engineer fit a new gas central heating system. He asked me to contact a gas supplier and check the supply.

Since they had no records I was advised to contact the National Grid,
who informed me that there was a gas supply to the house, but it was
"shipless", there not having been any gas used for the intervening years.
I was told to contact an escalations department and a new meter would need to be installed.

We have since been informed that we would be required to pay for a new gas connection since the pipes would be of the old type. They could give me no indication of the cost and I wondered if anyone could give me some sort of idea, since we had not budgeted on this in our calculations.

The house is a 2 bed garden fronted mid terraced in the north west of England. If it helps, the old meter was situated just inside the front porch, a matter of 4 or so meters from the main road.
I'd be so grateful if anyone could offer any advice, experiences or ideas on costs involved. Many thanks in advance, Heather