HP Pavilion DV9000

Lor

Oct 4, 2010
Good Afternoon All,

I was wondering if someone could help me here.

My best mate and his partner brought a laptop from PC World 3 years ago, the laptop being a HP Pavilion DV9000. Last week i was using the laptop and for some unknown reason at the time the laptop switched itself off.

At first i thought this was down to overheating on the CPU as laptops can get extremely hot and as a precaution on the BIOS you can set up temperature controls which will turn off the laptop if the temperature increases beyond this point. In the mean time i let the laptop cool off a little and tried to power it up again but the LED's flicked on for a few seconds a switched off. The CPU fans spin for a fraction of a second and then slows to a stop.

I tried various techniques to find out what might be causing the laptop not to switch on. After getting no where i thought I'd check Google to see if someone else has had the same problem and it turns out that hundreds have.

The problems stems from a dodgy chipset on the GPU (nVidia based), i don't know the intricate details about the fault at this time (I will no doubt find out as i'm quite the geek!) but apparently the fault has been known about for 3/4 years. Even HP know about it and had a recall some time ago.

I want to get in contact with HP and not PC World as the fault is known to HP for a number of years and the problem is a little beyond PC World. Before i call HP i want some ammunition as it were because i know they'll be difficult to deal with in the first instance. Without letting emotion get ahead of rational thinking you would think that a faulty laptop from the get go (unknown to him at the time - he's not technically minded hence why i'm trying to help) would give a consumer good grounds.

Would you say we've got a good case? If so, what would be the best course of action to take and also what should i mention?

I have read a page regarding Faulty Laptops Rights | Consumer Information but i'm a little unsure about the best way to handle this. If anyone could help me that would be really appreciated.