Metal object found in Morrisons Frozen Swede

congregatio

Oct 25, 2010
Hi,
I wonder if you can help. My wife was unfortunate enough to find a sliver of metal in her dinner yesterday. The metal was in Morrison's Diced Swede and my wife actually found the metal in her mouth after taking a bite. We had mashed the swede so the metal was within the mashed swed.

Luckily there was no serious damage but this could quite easily have been one of my children, who were also eating the same meal.

The metal object is rusty, about 1 cm wide by 1.5cm tall, u-shaped and as thin as a razor blade. If swallowed the object would have done some serious damage.

I tried to contact Morrison'simmidiately yesterday (Sunday) but their customer support line only operates on normal business hours.

I have contacted Morrison's head office this morning so that they can have the product removed from their shelves. They requested the metal object and food back to allow internal investigations.

After taking advice I was told not to return the object to Morrison's as they would simply deny that the object was found in their food and that I should contact the local paper who would ensure that the food recall / investigation does happen. I have done this (contacted Stockport express), I have also contacted the food standards agency who put me in touch with the local environmental health officer - (can be found here if someone needs help - sorry had to remove link because of forum rules). I am know waiting for the Health Officer to call me back.

My main concern is that another family has the same experience or worse on the run up to Christmas. I appreciate that it is difficult to prevent foreign objects entering the food chain but this is quite a nasty piece of metal which could have caused a death, especially if it had become trapped in a child's throat.

When speaking to Morrisons head office they treated my concerns as though it was nothing to worry about and seemed dismissive. I dont know whether they recieve these types of complaint from people trying it on but they need to take this seriously. It really is a nasty piece of metal and if there is more present in their frozen swede it could have very serious implcations.

I have received the following reference number from Morrison's - and have been told that I will get a call back about the incident.

The food the metal was found in was Morrison's frozen diced Swede with the sell by date of 08 Mar 2012, with ref FLA 139, bar code 5010251124313.

I would be grateful for any advice you can provide, I don't feel this is being taken seriously by Morrisons and I would be distraught if I discovered that a child or adult had choked on a similar piece of metal. It has obviously rusted of machinery and this indicates that there are likely to be more fragments.

Having contacted Morrisons, the local newspaper and the environmatal health, is there anyone else I should contact? I will post regular updates as I recieve information and hope this helps anyone lese who has a similar concern or problem with anything odd in their food.

I have pictures of the metal but could not upload them.