Strapped for cash?

Sarah2312

Nov 5, 2010
Hello there. Just wondering whether anyone out there has any tips for making extra money? I am a uni student and, like many, am struggling financially. In the run up to Xmas, I'd just like some ideas of how to earn some extra cash for buying presents and the extra night out, without it affecting my studies. Any ideas are welcomed.

neb1405

Nov 19, 2010
i've been doing a number of things personally...

do you have any old mobiles phones? if you do, sell them - there are loads of companies like mazuma or mopay.co.uk... it's worth shopping around to see who offers the best price. If you have a local CEX store near you, you can always take it in - i wouldn't recommend sending it as i had a bad experience of sending in a practically new phone and they 'graded' it as a damaged phone... couldn't get hold of them on the phone at all and offered me just 10% of the phone's value.. but if you take it in to store, then at least they can't argue.

if you're really strapped, then you could sell gold? there are envelopes at most whsmiths stores for this, however note that the price they pay is probably about 60% market value...

matched betting is something i've been doing recently - its where you take advantage of incentives given by bookmakers and is considered risk free.. google it, there are a number of sites that talk about it. i've been using fixtheodds.com which is a good starting point - made over £65 with them so far..

mystery shopping - have you tried signing up for any mystery shopping websites? i've been doing Aba-i.co.uk, who have sent me to wilkinsons and harpers bazzar for 5 times now - that's £10 each time so i've made £50 from them.. it's fun too and really tests your memory!

if all fails - do a car boot sale!

Jostar

Sep 20, 2010
www.postgoldforcash.com
Some great ideas there from neb. I highly recommend the suggestion of selling gold - but to get the best price you can shop around and see how much the different companies offer. The online companies are the best as they provide a free gold selling pack. I'd look for one that will return your jewellery if you don't like their offer - that way you can't lose :)

Sarah2312

Nov 5, 2010
Thanks, these ideas are really helpful. I do have an old mobile, which I hadn't thought of selling, so that's a good start. I've heard about matched betting but never given it a go, so will look into that.

neb1405

Nov 19, 2010
Thanks, these ideas are really helpful. I do have an old mobile, which I hadn't thought of selling, so that's a good start. I've heard about matched betting but never given it a go, so will look into that.
Sorry - forgotten what matched betting was! Yeah, it can work and good luck! Let us know how you get on!

tobyjugg

Jan 13, 2011
Interesting post about matched betting. I read an article a month or so back on the Telegraph online about this and I think it mentioned fixtheodds. Are they any good to use? I do matched betting now and then to earn a bit of extra money and am always up for trying new sites.

Sarah2312

Nov 5, 2010
I looked into using Fixtheodds only just recently as I really needed to earn a bit of extra money for Uni books, socials etc. It's quite complicated, but I managed to find a friend (of a friend) who understood matched betting and they helped talk me through it. I couldn't say that I'm an expert now by any means, still very much a novice, but I have made a few bets and got myself about £45. I'm getting better at understanding the site and how it all works so I'm going to persevere.

Oh, and I sold my phone. It was a bit of an ancient Nokia so I only got £38 for it. But, better than a kick in the teeth and with my fixtheodds winnings meant that I could buy some stuff for Uni and a few drinks at the union bar!

neb1405

Nov 19, 2010
I looked into using Fixtheodds only just recently as I really needed to earn a bit of extra money for Uni books, socials etc. It's quite complicated, but I managed to find a friend (of a friend) who understood matched betting and they helped talk me through it. I couldn't say that I'm an expert now by any means, still very much a novice, but I have made a few bets and got myself about £45. I'm getting better at understanding the site and how it all works so I'm going to persevere.
Yeah, I use fixtheodds too... £45 doesn't seems a lot - you should be making over £100... Try doing more offers, accumulate the float on the exchange, so you can do more and more offers far more quickly.

neb1405

Nov 19, 2010
Some great ideas there from neb. I highly recommend the suggestion of selling gold - but to get the best price you can shop around and see how much the different companies offer. The online companies are the best as they provide a free gold selling pack. I'd look for one that will return your jewellery if you don't like their offer - that way you can't lose :)
Thanks ^.^ Glad that I cold help!!!

tobyjugg

Jan 13, 2011
I decided to give Fixtheodds a try a couple of days ago. I've placed a couple of bets and will post up how I get along. Their site's not bad as far as other matched betting sites go and their software does all the complicated calculations for you. If anyone knows of any similar sites I could try please post up.

ZacColbert

Jan 29, 2011
I cash exchanged my Wii and DS and all their games and raised some pretty healthy funds that way. I you have a clear out i bet you'll find a bunch of stuff you never use anymore but could sell either to shops, or at a car boot and make some money that way while also having a spring clean!

Sarah2312

Nov 5, 2010
Actually i mentioned to one of my friends that I was looking for ways to make money and she mentioned doing a car washing and valet service. Thought it was quite a nice idea.

Also on a slightly different note i've heard that the Post office are stopping doing savings stamps so it might be an idea to trade them in before they stop them completely if you want to get some extra cash. Apparently the deadline for exchanging the stamps for cash is the 28th of this month.