Motherboard repair under warranty - my rights

TonTri

Dec 14, 2010
Hello everyone - I've just joined!

I stumbled upon this site while googling advice on a problem with my PC. With all the surfing I do, I dont know how I havent come across it before. Anyway, while there have been a few similar posts, I wondered if anyone could help with my specific problem.

In September 2009 the motherboard went on my 6 year old PC. I took it back to the local computer store who had built it for me and, as it was out of warranty, it cost me £230 to have a new one, together with CPU, RAM and OS.

In January this year, the motherboard went again. Again I took it back and had it replaced under warranty. It has now gone again! I took it back over 2 weeks ago as it is still under 12-month warranty and have been told the motherboard they fitted 11 months ago is now obsolete. This meant I would also have to have a new CPU, RAM and OS as the ones I have are too old and arent compatible. All for a cost of an additional £160-£200.

I complained that as far as I was concerned it wasnt my problem they fitted an obsolete part and I wasnt going to pay. They spun some yarn about things going obsolete as soon as they've left the shelf and it wasnt their fault the manufacturer had withdrawn it.

They gave me 3 alternatives:

-Fit the new model motherboard, but I had to fork out for the other parts
-Have a refund on what was left on the warranty, although they couldnt specify what that would be until the manufacturer told them (and buy a new PC)
-They would try to locate a secondhand one of my original motherboards but there wouldnt be any warranty with it.

I've opted for the latter purely so I can back up all my data on the hard drive and buy a new PC if the motherboard goes again. The warranty appears to be semi worthless anyhow.

Are they right though?

thanks in advance
Trina