If it's not included should it say so ?

anrkyuk

Feb 2, 2010
Good evening all,

A quick question if I may.

If you bought a pair of curtains and the picture on both the front and rear of the packet shoed the curtains tied back with curtain ties of matching material and the only writing on the packet was the manufacturers address and the design / product name. With no mention of “not included” or “sold separately”

Would you assume they were included …

Is this a breach of Trade Descriptions Act or Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 ?

My mother bought the curtains yesterday from a high street chain, which she has purchased a dozen or so over the last 15+ years and they have always come with tiebacks when shown on the packaging as she has always made sure it does not say “not included”.

She contacted the store and the manager said it does not have to say if something shown on the pack is not included … which doesn’t sound right to me. Unfortunately she only needed one of the curtains and removed it, altered it and hung it before removing the full contents of the packet and finding no tiebacks, and as such can not take them back and the store doesn’t even sell the matching tiebacks show on the packaging.

She’s prepared to make one using out of the 2nd curtain in the pack but considering the price and the packaging it annoys me she should have to do this.

Am I wrong, is this acceptable or is there anything that can be done ?

Thanks for any help or insight