cancelling a new car order

HELPTHEDEN

Jan 10, 2011
Hi,
I am after some advice re: my current situtation with a new car order..

I ordered a new car in early November last year, I sort of rushed into the decision as the dealer was advertising a good deal which included a pre Christmas delivery to beat the VAT rise.

I was given an expected delivery date of early december, however, the car has not yet been delivered.

I was asked to to go to the dealership to sign the credit agreement to get the car registered before the end of the year to beat the VAT rise. I was uneasy about doing this but was assured by the car salesman that they had received an email from the distribution centre confirming that the car was to be delivered before the end of the year.. I expressed my concerns re: the possibility that the car could be delayed further (Its already a month overdue), but was told that they were expecting the car in days rather than weeks, so signed the credit agreement based on this info.

After hearing nothing from the dealer in the first few days of Jan, I contacted them to ask for an update, to be be told that they are still awaiting a new delivery date. After complaining about this, I was told that the car was expected to be delivered on the 6th Jan. The car has still not arrived and I have heard nothing further from the dealers. I have contacted the head office to find out what is going on, however, they were not able to provide any info direct and said that they would take the issue up with the dealers. They did however say that they had been informing dealers to tell customers that there is a minimum lead time of 3 months when ordering a new car (so they were surprise that I was initially expecting a delivery in December.

The car has now been registered to me and I am expected to start paying the finance in a couple of weeks even though i am not in receipt of the car and the dealers cannot confirm when the car will be delivered.

I have sent them an email with my concerns and have asked them to oultline my options re: cancelling my order and whether they would compensate me if I have to start paying for the vehicle before getting it/or if it is delivered a couple weeks prior to the new regs in March.

As I feel that the dealers may not have been transparent re: delivery, I am not confident that they will provide me with my options. I would therefore like some advise on this matter.