Computer exchange iphone 4 repairs now exchange.. Can I get a refund?

Pookey

Jan 12, 2011
Hello everyone, I'm Paula and have just joined the forum. I'm in Northern Ireland and have a question if anyone could share their knowledge, I'd appreciate it.

I bought a used Iphone from computer exchange with a twelve month warranty, I have had it 5 months and it has gone in to be repaired for the 4th time. Today they said it cant be repaired and will have to have another used phone sent from another branch as a replacement for me. When I asked about a refund they said they couldnt refund but they could buy it back for 85 as a totally seperate transaction, but I paid 200 for it.

Am I entitled to a refund or do I have to accept the replacement. I have the receipt.

I am very rural and need a reliable phone as I do 47 miles in school runs a day out on country roads for my 2 sons, I dont want to get another dodgy phone.

Thanks

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Did you buy the iPhone as used or new?

If new - the company has breached your statutory rights as all products must be of satisfactory quality under the Sale of Goods Act - and clearly it is not ,
With your warranty you need to check the terms for any exclusion clauses that state that you cannot have a refund, otherwise... You are entitled to whatever you want (refund/echange/repair/replacement) and it is down to YOU which you want.

As used - I'm not 100% , but as they sold as used under the form of a business - again must be of satisfactory quality (of which could be expected of a used phone) . Used goods isn't my area, but I'm sure there will be your rights on this website : see Sale of Goods Act , and take a look at used/second hand goods.

Adam

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Yes, I mentioned contract for a new phone,
As for used - see above . :)

It depends how it was sold - any mention of fault/age of phone etc
Unless you were told / it was described verbally or in writing next to the phone that it is faulty then you have no backing.

If it wasn't described as faulty then you take it as un-faulty and should be of satisfactory quality under the SoG Act

Pookey

Jan 12, 2011
The phone was sold working with a years warranty - it was working fine for the first month or two. CeX (computer exchange) test all items before they accept them so everything is sold as working, it is like a chain of electrical pawn shops - people take in used items, get some money and then the shop sells them on. They are notoriously bad for exchanges and selling fenced goods. I have learned my lesson and bought my new iphone straight from Apple but I still need to get this issue sorted - if I have to take the replacement I will sell it on Ebay but if I can get a refund I will be better off. I am just trying to find out where I stand before I go back in on Friday.