Cost of car parking

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
I occasionally drive to work, usually if I need to drive to somewhere else during the day. It's always tricky to get parked but it's actually relatively cheap once you manage to find a space - 10p for 12 minutes up to a maximum of four hours, so the most you ever pay is £2.00. I just wondered whether this is the standard price across the UK - I suspect it must be much higher in London?

scotchlass

Facilitator
Sep 5, 2008
Having parked in Dundee and Aberdeen, they are completely different. No parking meters give you an option to pay for parking for less than half an hour. It does start from 30p for an hour or two, depending where your park. But there are hefty charges for over 6 hours or if you lose your ticket.

One thing I have noticed up Aberdeen way is that people are very generous at handing over their tickets if you pull in to park and they still have some time on it! This happened to me the other day, there was still 45 minutes left on on the ticket that the couple gave me which was just perfect!

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Wow - that has never happened to me, ever! In fact it's never occurred to me to offer someone else my ticket if I have time left on it - must remember that in future.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
The cost of car parking around here, and in other parts of the UK that I've been to of late seems to have risen markedly over the past few years. I remember going Sunday shopping and the large car parks in town were all free on Sundays and Bank Holidays. Now they are pay. The costs have risen too. I noticed it a great deal in the Lake District on Holiday. We parked in several National Trust Owned car parks and it was a minimum of £2 per car. Multiply that by two cars (there was a large group of us) and using two car parks a day somedays, over the course of a week and it really mounted up.

We reckon next time it may be cheaper to get a National Trust Membership and use the car parks for free.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
The cost of parking in Bristol's new shopping centre might make your eyes water:

Car Park Tariffs:

Monday to Saturday:
• 0-2 Hours £3.00
• 2-4 Hours £5.00
• 4-6 Hours £8.00
• 6-8 Hours £12.00
• 8-24 Hours £16.00

Opening Special Sunday Tariff:
• 0-4 Hours £2.50
• 4-8 Hours £5.00
• 8-24 Hours £16.00

All parking in the south west seems expensive though, and most car parks here are pay on return to your car, which prevents people passing tickets to other motorists when they leave - I remember my dad doing it a lot (and on occasion receiving tickets) when I was a kid.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Jormian, be careful with the National Trust membership some car parks are excluded. We got membership as we go to Tatton Park a lot, but parking is not included!!

The out of town shopping centres do very well because of the free parking and even small town shopping - I know Westhoughton near me has free parking but the choice is not great but it is good to support local business.

Tony

Johnnyboy

Jan 18, 2009
Glasgow
I know of two streets in Glasgow city centre that have no parking restrictions on them, if your early enough.....FREE PARKING!