When is garden furniture not for the garden?

grayfor

Jan 21, 2011
We purchased a set of expensive garden table and chairs in early summer last year. In early december we noticed that the "ceramic" finish on several items was beginning to crack. By the end of December, large areas of the finish were becoming detached from the surface. When we spoke to the suppliers they said that the items were not garden furnishings, and should not be left outside for long periods! Their web site lists the items under "garden furniture" and suggests how good they will look on patios balconies and lawns... The suppliers also now state that the care instructions should be followed. As there were no instructions packed with our delivery, this would be difficult. In any event, surely an item described and sold as garden furniture should be able to withstand being outside!

We are strongly under the impression that it is not reasonable for garden furnishings to fail in this manner after less than 1 year. My questions are:

Are they "fit for purpose" or not?

Can a trader rely on retrospective care advice, and if so, do we have to prove that no such advice was given at time of purchase?

Any ideas?
:confused:

gordonrigg

Dec 8, 2011
Sounds like it should last much longer than that! Garden furniture (especially wood) does need looking after (I know you said yours was ceramic topped). This can be through treatment (wouldnt help your ceramic top), putting a cover on (to stop the frost) or putting furniture in the garage for storage.

Nevertheless if you were not given instructions with the table there is no way you can follow them! The fact you weren't means you were probably unaware of how to car for the table.

I only hope you got a replacement with it being under a year old.

Gordon Rigg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ronald E. Hill

grayfor

Jan 21, 2011
Sounds like it should last much longer than that! Garden furniture (especially wood) does need looking after (I know you said yours was ceramic topped). This can be through treatment (wouldnt help your ceramic top), putting a cover on (to stop the frost) or putting furniture in the garage for storage.

Nevertheless if you were not given instructions with the table there is no way you can follow them! The fact you weren't means you were probably unaware of how to car for the table.

I only hope you got a replacement with it being under a year old.

Gordon Rigg
gordonrigg-gardencentres.co.uk
Thanks Gordon - We requested (and received) a full refund, so all is well - and we won't be buying "fancy" garden furnishing in future...:)

MartinDavidson

Nov 16, 2018
gogetdeals.co.uk
Do not but fancy garden item or furniture I also facing the same.
I brought table and 6 chair it was fancy that why i bring it home and set to the garden but just in 6 months its look like a old and used.
I bought it from stores outlet not online so i can not claim it.

garden chic voucher code

Ronald E. Hill

Dec 17, 2020
Thanks Gordon - We requested (and received) a full refund, so all is well - and we won't be buying "fancy" garden furnishing in future...:)
There is nothing to be disappointed grayfor .This can happen sometimes. But in the future, when buying a product, talk with the supplier well. And must read the instruction book that come with the product carefully.
Feeling really bad for you. Hope you find something good next time.