Do I have to pay?

Timothy1

Jan 26, 2011
Hi,
I recently had some fitters in to do some kitchen work for me. We verbally agreed a fixed sum for completed works and off they went. Work started, but then they apparently had two flat tyres, car breakdowns, and generally didn't bother turning up. They even left us without a cooker for 10 days and a sink for a week. Then they tried to switch to an hourly rate, charge me for hours when they weren't there and add another £700 onto the job.
They were due to finish the job in two days time and they were no where near complete, so i told them not to come back. I had already given them nearly a third of the agreed price in cash. I got an invoice for the full amount so I wrote back saying i thought that they had completed a third of the work, so that's what i was prepared to pay them, and encolsed a cheque for the remainder, which has been returned. The main guy phoned me and had a rant - even told me to 'watch my back' and now I have another invoice for less, but i still don't think i should pay. he has written what work he says he agreed to, but there was more than that and it was was going to end up unfinished, which is why i asked them to go. also, one of the builders drove past my house a couple of times (it's a no through road, so no reason to)staring in at the door.
am i within my rights to not pay any extra - i feel i have paid them for work completed.
Cheers,
Tim.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Unfortunately things like this happen, and I'm sorry to hear about this:
There are ways to not pay though as you have verbally agreed a price for a promise you have in fact entered a legally binding contract ,

The best way for you to make a stop is to pay the invoice and take the company/people to a small claims court.
You would be best off getting some legal aid with this (solicitor) ,

The reason I say this is as you are within this contract, if you don't hold up your end of it , the courts will not do anything in your favour.
By you paying and then taking the matter to court - you have held up your part but they haven't . Leaving you to win and them pay all costs.

Other ways are possible but to give advice on this over the Internet is not best as one cannot grasp the true situation , if you feel you would rather avoid paying then I suggest you contact your local trading standards department explain the situation and see what they advise.

Adam