Car failure after 8 days.

ozzydog

Jan 30, 2011
Hi there, just wanted to ask your advice please as I bought a secondhand car from a dealer 8 days ago and yesterday it failed. I had to get the AA out to check it and they reckon the oil pump failed. They told me I must not start or drive it and I then had to get them to tow the vehicle home. The dealer says he wants us to pay to have the car taken to him which I am not happy about as spent £110 getting it towed home (dealers was closed or would of gone there) Is it correct that would should pay another £70+ to have it towed to him please? I have only done 150 miles since buying the vehicle and feel rather annoyed by the dealers attitude.
Also as far as the problem goes he is saying that he only covers us for 1 months free warrenty and only covers major engine/gearbox repair. He says if it is oil pump failure then that is not engine failure itself, although it may cause engine failure by oil starvation. He says he will look at the vehicle if we get it to him but it will not be likely that it is covered by the warrenty he gave us so repairs would be our cost. I have read the advice about buying a car on here and also on the citizens advice site but I am still unclear if I have a right to expect a repair from the dealer. I realise he may not have known the vehicle had a problem so does this excuse him from repair? I would be very grateful for your advice,
Many thanks
Oz