Unfair Council Tax Surcharge

kay

Oct 17, 2008
Hi All,

I am a newbie to the WHAT forums. Bare with me please!

I am a single parent and law abiding citizen who tries to manage income and outgoings as efficently as possible. I tend to pay my council tax within the year of billing in 4 chunks, this suits me. However, today I recieved a Council Tax Summary Warrant notice with a 10% surcharge attached to it. I called the enquires line and was told I had to pay this regardless of the fact that I was intending to pay my account in full by the end of the period - Jan 09.

Apparently, you can only pay Council Tax in full or monthly arrangement and each month you are perceived to be in arrears. Is this fair or legal to inforce this payment method on people. Surely, we should be able to decide what, when and how we pay this taxation and not have conditions forced upon us.

I am annoyed at myself :( for allowing this to have happened in the first instance, but have been plagued with health issues over the past year and offering this as a reason to get the surcharge dropped, was not an option.

I have paid my account in full today minus their charges, but have a feeling they will still persue, is there anything I can do in order to not pay this surcharge?

Thanks in advance

Kay

ps - It is also their decision to spread payments over a 10 month period even though the taxation covers a 12 month period. should this be the case? Why should local authorities or the government dictate this method of payment?

Last edited:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Kay,

Welcome to the forum. I have to pay mine over ten months I didn't know there was a choice to pay it in one go. Personally, I would prefer to pay it off in 12 equal instalments. This guide may be of help: http://www.local.odpm.gov.uk/finance/ctax/ctaxbillguide.pdf

It is worth checking your banding and you are getting all the discounts you are entitled to. One of neighbours did this and a number of people on the street received cheques for £350.

Tony

kay

Oct 17, 2008
Hi Tony,

Thank you for your rapid response. I have read the document you posted the link to, thanks.

Basically, I have to pay all. So be it. An expensive lesson learned on my behalf :(.

Anyway, I will try to be more on the ball in future ;). Thanks again.

Kay

Last edited:

scotchlass

Facilitator
Sep 5, 2008
The Councils in Scotland are the same- it would be so much easier to pay it in 12 installments instead of the 10 they specify or in set chunks throughout the year.

It seems that they are on the ball when it comes to chasing arrears, but I had to fight one year to get a rebate that I was owed!!