Looking for advice

rachael

Feb 1, 2011
Hi all, I am hoping someone out there can advise me on where I stand in this situation I am in. It would be gratefully appreciated.
I am from Ireland and in Dec 10 I purchased online from laptopsdirect uk a grade A2 Acer laptop. Initially it seemed to running ok, a few software problems that I overcame but after about a month of buying it the screen started to flicker. At first it was an odd one here and there but the last few weeks it was constant and made using the laptop impossible. I contacted laptopsdirect last week and was told to reset the software to see was that causing the problem which I did but it did not resolve the flickering. In fact it has gotten worse to the stage of the screen not coming on at all. The customer agent then authorised to have it returned and are offering a repair. I am not happy with this and asked for refund as I have now forked out twice for delivery charges. Plus if it is repaired I will have to wait up to a month before it is returned and again pay for delivery charges. Because there is only a 3 month warranty which I am still in at the moment any future problems with this laptop will not be covered.
Am I entitled to ask for a refund or replacement. I dont want to have this repaired and two months down the road have the same problem but no comeback. I explained this to the agent again today and his reply was that all they could do for me was repairl
Can anyone out there offer me advice on what I can do?
Thanking you
Rachael

rusty999

Feb 1, 2011
I am also new here rachael and have a similar problem but this time its with a music keyboard from germany. Unfortunately i dont see any replies to your post here and I am unable to answer your query but i was wondering if you got any info elsewhere regarding this problem or did you get it sorted

I bought a brand new keyboard 2 months ago and both the software and the unit itself is faulty and i got an electric shock from it before the fuse blew. It has a 12 month warrenty
So i am unwilling to accept a repair of this unit as i would feel unsafe using any of their products again
My question is of course --what chance have i of getting my money back after 2 months

Whats the european law on this re safety and fit for purpose etc ?
Hope you got sorted rachael and is anyone familiar with a problem such as this
Thanks

rachael

Feb 1, 2011
Hi ya Rusty, I havent got this sorted yet. Unfortunately we are in the same boat. From what I was gathering after reading the bit of info on here, the laptop does not do what it is supposed to, it works but the screen flickering makes its use impossible. I would hope that I would get a response from the company tomorrow with a change of mind! But I suppose thats wishful thinking. I sent an email today again explaining why I wanted a refund preferrably because I just dont want to have to deal with them again. The whole point of buying it was to get it cheaper but now it has worked out to be quite expensive when I pay the courier costs over and back a few times. Hopefully someone will give us some good news on where we stand. Thanks for your reply.
Rachael

duncanm

Feb 3, 2011
I can't link yet as a new user. But if you google "distance selling regualations" you will find a PDF entitled oft698.

The key part for you is:
Page 30
3.68 If goods develop a fault within the first six months of being sold,
the law presumes that the fault was there when you sold the goods –
unless you can show otherwise. You should not charge return costs
for goods that have been rejected because they are faulty.

So since you bought this online you're covered by the distance selling regulations and because you purchased within 6 months you can return it at their cost for a full refund.

If you send them a link to the PDF you'll be surprised how quickly their attitude changes.

rachael

Feb 1, 2011
Hi Duncanm
Thank you so much for your reply. This is exactly what i was looking for. I have since been onto Acer themselves and have to get back to them tomorrow, they are updating the warranty after I sent on the purchases invoice. Hopefully I can get a better result from them. Laptopdirect are very difficult to deal with. My sister did get in touch with them as an outsider and said she was interested in purchasing a refurbished laptop from them and could they explain the warranty terms to her before she bought and it ended up when they found out she was from ireland their warranty didnt cover over here! Dont know how right they are in saying that?
Anyway thanks again for info.
Rachael