Mervyn King uses the "R" word - recession looms?

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Mervyn King has for the first time publicly acknowledged that the UK is likely to enter a recession. At an event in Leeds, he also said that the British banking system had been closer to collapse in the last few weeks than at any time since World War II.

He finished his speech by saying,

"I have said many times that successful monetary policy would appear to be rather boring. So let me extend an invitation to the banking industry to join me in promoting the idea that a little more boredom would be no bad thing."

Reminds me of the old Chinese curse - "May you live in interesting times"...

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Pressure?

I suppose old Merv can't really come out and shriek "Oh My God! It's all gone pear shaped! Get your money out the banks and hide it before it's too late!" I suppose there are pressures on him, not only from the financial markets, but the government too, to toe the "official" line. However there comes a time when the glaringly obvious has to be acknowledged and I think we are probably well past that now.

Everything seems to operate on a boom and bust cycle these days... I think what is surprising is just how quickly this has happened this time around. Though I am sure experts in this area have known it was poised to happen for some time.

I think, as I am sure most people do, recession doesn't loom. It's here already. Fangs bared, ready to sink it's teeth in. It isn't a question of avoiding it now, more managing it so that those hit hardest, can cope.

I also thought boredom in banking was a pre-requisite... I've seldom been at a party and heard "Oh great! Things will really liven up now the bank managers are here !" but then again, I've seldom been to parties... I knew I should have been a bank manager...

Last edited:

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
Retailers certainly think times are tough. The number of vouchers and special offers I am being sent at the moment from retailers seems to me to be much higher than normal. Also, many seem to be getting creative. We went to ASK this week for a pizza as I had a 2 for 1 main course coupon in our local paper. At ASK we were given a loyalty coupon to be stamped - eat 4 main courses (not all at once) and then get 1 free.

They are likely to win my loyalty as top pizza place at this rate...