BBC Watchdog: Over the (Indesit) Moon?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
The average British family washes around 260 loads of washing a year. And most of us don't fancy spending that much time down the launderette, as washing at home is more convenient...

In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions. If you're reading via RSS, you'll need to visit the blog to access this content.

Especially with a sleek machine that promises deep cleaning at the press of a button, offers you 50% more cleaning power and has a self-cleaning dispenser drawer. Unfortunately, this machine comes with something else...

(Do you have something to say about this story? Tell us what you think by emailing us here. Don't forget to include 'Indesit Moon' in the subject line. Watchdog will publish a selection of viewers' comments underneath each story, both throughout and after the programme is on air. Please remember to include your name as you would like to see it published).

Angi Shaffi fell for the Indesit Moon two and a half years ago. With a toddler in the house, she uses it every day. Angie told Watchdog:

"It's been nothing but trouble since the day I had it, with the mould growing - the smell."

She has seen the mould build up on the drum, the door seal and on the dispenser drawer. No matter what temperature she washes at, she just can't get rid of it. She's even paid £35 to replace the first mouldy door seal, but it's already mouldy again.

"The mould on the rubber then going onto the clothes - it's going onto my baby's clothes, ruining my vests, my husbands. They come out dirtier than what they went in. I've just had to sit and take all the mould off the children's clothes. I've had to scrape it off with my own nails. I want it to wash the clothes and do it's job like it's supposed to do."

So do the Moosajee family, who bought their Indesit Moon two years ago. Dr Alif Moosajee Watchdog:

"When we run it on a normal cycle - clean at 40 or at 60 actually - the clothes still come out smelly - smelling of body odour and mould. Often we get particles of mould left on the clothes - like residue - even if we do rewash it you get the same thing happening again - so they're not exactly clean when they come out."

We're getting lots more complaints about gunge-ridden Indesit moons, and Watchdog viewers have been sending in photos of the mould build up on their machines too. Some fed-up owners have simply got rid of their machine after just nine months of use. So what's going wrong?

Graham Watkinson is an experienced white goods engineer, and a member of the Domestic Appliance Service Association. He investigated the internal detergent drawer that is situated in the heart of the machine, and told Watchdog:

"Indesit say this is supposed to be self cleaning but I don't really think its self cleaning. Looking at it, you'd have to take it out every second wash to keep it clean. This is the only machine we know that has a self cleaning drawer in it and the only machine that Indesit have it in. Most of the problem is caused by the fact that the Indesit Moon will not do a 90 degree wash. And In my opinion, it needs to have a 90 degree wash so that you can do a maintenance programme."

But is doesn't say anything about a maintenance wash in the manual.

The independent engineers we spoke to all recommend running an empty washing machine through a 90 degree cycle once a month to clean it. They advise using bio powders with bleaching agents to help kill the build up of bacteria and sludge but the Indesit Moon only goes up to sixty degrees? That's a warm wash, not a hot wash.

And, as our experts argue, that's not good enough. Other leading machines on the market which all go up to at least 90 degrees, but not the Moon.

Graham Watkinson told Watchdog:

"You can only put it to 60, which isn't hot enough in my opinion to kill all the bacteria and get rid of all the old soap and old mould."

And there's yet another issue with the Moon. Unlike other machines, you can't do a separate spin cycle to dry it out, which means that the interior stays warm and damp.

Are there any warnings about this in the manual? Well actually, it only advises leaving the door open and briefly mentions that residues may form on the detergent dispenser drawer, 'very occasionally.'

So is Indesit any more helpful when you ask them about it? Alif and Rumana Moosajee contacted Indesit about the problems they were having with the machine. Alif told Watchdog:

"Indesit said to wash the clothes higher than 60 (degrees), but our machine doesn't have the facility to do that. They asked us to keep the draw open - a non existent draw - the Moon doesn't have one. And they asked us to keep the door open - but I explained to them we were already doing that. We're expecting a baby - and we're worried about the effect of mould and the fact the clothes aren't clean - what effect it will have on baby."

Watchdog arranged to carry out tests on mould samples taken from the machines of both Alif Moosajee and Angi Shaffi.*

*The results of these tests were discussed in Watchdog's live studio show on Thursday April 14th, 2011.

Statement to BBC Watchdog from Indesit:

"As the leading seller of washing machines in the UK and across Europe, we are very proud of the standards that we have set for product performance and customer service. We have sold 20,000 Moon washing machines over the past two years and the overwhelming majority of customers have been very satisfied with the product. However, we accept that a small minority of customers have experienced the problem raised by your programme. We apologise to these customers and recognise that our usual high standards haven't been met on these occasions.

"Mould deposit build up is common in many types of washing machines and the cause of this is often due to the machine not receiving adequate ventilation, rather than the cause being the machines design. When a washing machine is properly maintained mould problems can be minimised. Whilst we have had a very small number of enquiries to our contact centre about this issue on the Moon product, we have taken this opportunity to examine the problems that have been experienced.

"We accept that some guidance in our service manual, website and provided by our customer contact centre was inaccurate with regards to the Moon model. We have already changed the advice that we are providing customers which, if followed, will help to solve the problem. These changes include:

- further highlighting the need to leave the door to the machine open after each wash to help air the drawer and reduce any mould build up;

- recommending that the door seal is wiped with a cloth ideally after each wash;

- that a maintenance wash is carried out every 4-6 weeks. This wash should be
undertaken with limescale and detergent remover and with the drum empty;

- recommending that a visual inspection of the detergent dispenser drawer is carried out periodically and that the drawer be removed manually and washed by hand if necessary.

"As part of an internal investigation earlier this year we found our advice for the Moon washing machine mentioned a 90 degree wash. This was an error and was corrected in February on all new Moon products.

"We carry out thousands of tests on an on-going basis in both internal and external laboratories by scientific and technical experts. We want to very clear on this point a wash at 60 degrees with detergent is enough to remove most common pre-treated stains. Independent research also shows that a wash at 60 degrees with detergent is enough to kill the vast majority of bacteria. Nonetheless we have taken this opportunity to commission more research into different temperature washes to further understand the issue.

"Ms Shaffi was concerned that one washing cycle of her Moon washing machine was taking longer than specified in the manual. We believe this to be an isolated case and have not received complaints from other customers with regards to this. However, we will be investigating further and we will make contact with Ms Shaffi to resolve this problem for her. We will also be making contact with Dr Alif Moosajee with a view to investigating and resolving his problem.

"We accept that our high standards for customer service have not been met in the cases shown in the programme and we are fully committed to putting that right. A number of internal procedures are being reviewed to improve the customer experience.

"Any customers that require further advice should contact our contact centre on 01733 287 611 or email moon@indesit.com."

Watchdog Viewer Responses:

I have an indesit Moon and have had nothing but trouble with it, my clothes come out smelling awful and the seal gets very mouldy.

I've contacted indesit, who said I should leave the door open, I already do. They said it's an eco friendly machine, I should buy their cleaning solution monthly and a mould remover! I'd like to throw it away and buy a different one, but I'm a single mother and cannot afford to. My children have exzema as it is, so I don't want mouldy smelly clothes on their skin.

Jackie Louise

Purchased this washing machine three years ago. Had bits appearing on clothes after six months. Thought it was a problem specific to just my washing machine, after seeing your problem realise its a national problem. Doesn't wash clothes that well and am very disappointed with the machine. Indesit should replace the washing machine with one suitable for the job e.g. WASH

Anonymous Watchdog Viewer

I bought a moon about 1 year ago and have exactly the same problem, within 3 month of purchase i had 2 engineers out, due to a drum fault, i also have mould build up, the fabric softener slot is constantly blocked, and have had to pick mould and residue off clothing, i would never recommend this machine, and as soon as i can will be replacing it.

Anonymous Watchdog Viewer

I bought my machine in 2007 and have had the same problem with sludge on clothes - predominantly after using the machine on the 30 degree washes. I now remove the soap dispenser monthly and soak in soda crystals, wipe round the seal and run it on a 60 degree cycle with a cap full of bleach - not ideal but better than having to fork out for another machine! I'm willing it to die so I can get a new one!!!

Kate Bramhill, Barrow upon Humber

Wow, we have had the same problem for ages and did not realise it was a national problem. The report that it is unhealthy has made us now consider cutting our losses and buying a different machine.

Mark Davis

i too have an indesit washing machine although it isnt the moon model its 5 months old and already i have mould around the door seel and draw and pieces all over our clothes! ive had an indesit before without a problem? ill be sure to do a 90c wash from now on as stated on your show!

thank you
tarnia from north norfolk

We have an Indesit Moon washing machine and have had it for just over two years. We have noticed that the rubber going mouldy and the soap dispenser being all gunged up is regular occurance. I have tried to keep on top of cleaning it up but this really is un-acceptable.

After watching the review on watchdog i would go out tomorrow and buy a replacement if i could afford to.

Adam

How anyone can be 'happy' with this machine is beyond me! It may look sleek & modern with its glowing blue lights etc but it doesn't do what it says on the tin!

I frequently have to wipe out the slimy mould that forms inside the rubber seal and the soap dispenser and I've lost count of the number of times I've had to re-wash loads because of the smell. I leave the door open as much as is practicable with young children in the house, but sometimes the stench in my kitchen from this machine is overpowering & I just have to shut the door! Plus the fact I don't want my toddlers sticking their fingers in there & then in their mouths...the consequences don't bear thinking about!

I've tried a 60 degree 'maintenance' wash almost weekly & it makes no difference.

What can we do? I can't afford to buy a replacement machine - I've only had it 2 years

Ali Johnson, Taunton

have had one for 3 years now, it broke down after 11 months then again after 14 months, now it wont even do a 60 wash. i have had to take the door dispenser apart numerous occaisions to clean the mould, and the door seal is disgusting and sludgy after every couple of washes, even though i clean it with bleach. i have to take clothes out carefully as not to touch the sides or they get covered in grey slime ! i wish i had never bought it but cant afford to throw money away,

c.dingsdale, hexham, northumberland.

I have had my Indesit moon for just over 2 years. I always keep the door open when not in use, I use limescale remover in each wash, I wipe the seal after every use and clean the dispenser thoroughly each month with a toothbrush! I also do a maintainence wash each month with bleach at 60 degrees. However, it absolutely stinks! It has got worse since I switched to non-bio products after having my baby girl 6 months ago. I didn't realise how many other people had this problem and I can't wait to get rid of it!

After watching your programme tonight i am so pleased that i thought i was the only one with the same problem that other people had with the washers, Ihave had mine for 3 years and since i brought it i had problems with a very strong mould smel lfrom the washer when in use and when i took the clothes out after the wash they smelt of mould too, also indeset came out twice to change the seal but still had the same problem a fews weeks being fitted the mould appeared in the seal and the wash powder pocket too, i do put my through a 90 degree wash every month with there own branded crystal but i still have the problem now and again?

sharron batchford

We also have a moon and have mould on the rubber, the bacteria report is very worrying as our son has cerebral palsy so is prone to infections due to his low immune system. Our clothes frequently have mould marks on them, so after your report I will looking to get a new washing machine right now.

Stephanie Burke

Over the (Indesit) Moon?

scoobydrew

May 6, 2014
We have had an Indesit Moon for over six years now. Apart from a slight blackening of the rubber door seal we have found this machine to be the best we have ever had and (touch wood) we have never experienced any bad smells coming from the drum or any other problems. The sponge in the tray is cleaned regularly so there is no build up of gunge or mould there. It could be the differing water quality in different areas that are causing users problems.

Glossygran

Jun 8, 2014
I have just had to take an Indesit Moon apart to try and get smelly, disgusting sludge out from around the seal and drum. This was after two 60 deg washes, one with aerial and one with bleach. Nothing shifted the smell and when i discovered this sludge the only way was to spoon it out. It is my step daughters machine and I am staying at her house so having to use the machine while they are away. I shall be showing her the photos and advising her to replace as soon as she can afford to!