ISP shuts down penaltycharges.co.uk

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
The website Penalty Charges UK - Fighting your Corner for FREE, which campaigns against bank charges, has been closed down by its Internet Service Provider (ISP), 1and1.co.uk. The ISP said that the site hosted comments which were offering or promoting illegal services, a charge the site owner denies. 1and1.co.uk say the site appears to advise people to borrow money with no intention of paying it back.

The site has now moved to a new host. It also plays a bizarre little song when you visit the front page.

scotchlass

Facilitator
Sep 5, 2008
Well I was going to start a thread to get some advice as I had been approached by a company a while back offering to recover my bank charges- then of course if the court case- so, I will check this site out( on their new ISP) to find out if I can go it alone ( have now heard about bad experiences with the company I was using so will probably go it alone). Thanks for the link!

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
As far as I know you shouldn't need anyone else to do it for you, it should be fairly straightforward. I suspect some companies just sprang up in an opportunistic way to take advantage of the avalanche of people claiming back charges. Obviously there's lots of useful info elsewhere in this forum, and at Excessive Bank Charges | Consumer Information.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I was one of the lucky ones who took on several banks and credit cards successfully before the court case, it was a bit of hassle but well worth the effort.

The whole court case fiasco is just a delaying tactic by the banks, they know they a going to have to sort out charges before too long but unfotunately it has put a stop - for now - on claiming back bank charges, not the case for credit cards tho as the OFT has already ruled that the fees need to reflect the company costs.

I certainly wouldn't consider paying anyone to help you claim back charges or PPI that has been missold, I'm quite happy to help if anyone wants any advice.

scotchlass

Facilitator
Sep 5, 2008
Thanks for your replies- I am going to pursue this myself once the final ruling has been made. Just wondering should I approach bank just now (i.e with standard letter-which was sent o my bank by the recovery company) or should I wait?

Any advice is appreciated!