Camera returned due to fault, but then lost by retailer...

Skipoet

May 24, 2011
Hi folks

I'm new to the forum, and this is my first posting, so please be gentle.

My 5 yr old Canon EOS 350D digital SLR camera recently stopped working. Did all the usual checks, but it was as dead as a dodo. Not long before this happened, my zoom lens also developed a serious fault.

I took both items back to Jessops in Manchester, and they were sent back to Canon for repair. I paid £25 which would be deducted from the cost of any repair if I decided to go ahead, or would be forfeited if I declined.

I was told that I would hear something within 6 weeks. That period came and went with no word. When I enquired, it transpired that the courier had apparently lost both items......

Jessops offered to replace the lens with a like for like item, but as my camera is 5 yrs old and no longer in production, they offered an EOS 1100D. This camera has a far better specification than my old one, (as you'd expect given the passage of time), but is effectively the entry level version. At the time of buying my original 350D, it was a mid range model. The 1100D would not have been my choice if I'd had to replace my camera due to the cost of repair being prohibitive.

I have suggested to Jessops that I am willing to pay the difference between the value of the 1100D and the camera of my choice, but they are so far refusing to play ball. The reason they are giving appears to be to do with their accounting procedures, and the fact that it is probably easier to write it off against stock.
However, I strongly suspect that this is not a case of 'we can't do it' but more a case of 'it's rather difficult, so we'd prefer you accept our first offer'.

Can somebody please advise me what my rights are in this case, and whether I have to accept their offer?

Thanks for your help everybody