Second hand car problems - advice please

njs1999

May 29, 2011
Hello

Bought a Vauxhall Frontera (Diesel) from a second hand dealer approx 2 months ago - T reg, 109k on clock. Have just started having problems with it, Engine management light comes on and it goes in to 'limp mode', i.e. doesn't let you go above 40mph when going over 3k revs - normally going up a hill.

The car was advertised with Full service history, which wasn't given to us at the time but the dealer said he would chase up and forward on. I hadn't received anything after a month and called him to chase up, he said he couldn't get in touch with previous owners and basically said it wouldn't be coming, but that I could find this out myself by ringing round, etc.

On the test drive, the Engine Management light came on (seemed to come on when car was in low revs). It was very intermittent and he plugged a little machine in and reset the EML. This perhaps should've told me to walk away, but as it was intermittent and seemed a decent car other than that, I bought it.

He did supply me with a 3 months warranty, covering the costs up to £500 - it's one of those that offers different levels of cover.

Basically, I'd like to know what my rights are in terms of getting it repaired/refund. It is illegal to say it has a FSH in advert, which I now have no hope of getting from him?

Does the warranty cover his back or is the issue still with the potentially false advertising of FSH?

Thanks in advance