2nd hand car private purchase- problem.

browner2

Jun 17, 2011
I test drove a 2nd hand car from a lovely older man 2 weeks ago, and paid a deposit for him to give me 2 weeks to get the rest of the money....I didn't try to knock him down on price as I thought it would be a bit cheeky.

The car was lovely, very smooth, etc (Renault Megane 03)... I collected it yesterday, and after driving less than a mile I noticed the most horrendous scraping noise when applying the brakes.....this certainly wasn't happening 2 weeks ago when test drove.

I phoned him straight away..he said he hadn't noticed it as he's deaf, and finds it hard to hear things...which ok is valid...but you can feel the grinding too...he doesn't think the brakes have been done for a while, but as car has not been driven much - could be where its been stood (but wasn't case 2 weeks ago)......
He said to call him if worried. I've since had it looked at and the brakes are 'metal to metal'.......going to cost about £200!! Where do I stand? - can I ask him to pay for the repairs as he shouldn't have sold me it like this?...
(the car has done about 5000 miles since January - so certainly hasn't been sttod around much!)
The MoT was issued in January 2011...... but I was not given the Advisory although one was issued....what can I do?