Littlewoods

ke11

Aug 10, 2011
I took delivery of 2 wardrobes (1 double, 1 triple total cost £450) on 23rd March 2011 (ordered March 13th 2011). On Friday 22nd April 2011 the triple wardrobe collapsed when being moved (empty) to allow a new carpet to be fitted. This is lying in bits in the wood shed. The double wardrobe remains upright, however it is extremely unstable, wobbling when opened, due to this the doors do not meet and appear mismatched. I am concerned that this too will collapse every time i come to open a door. I immediately contacted Littlewoods to raise a complaint. I have not yet paid for the wardrobes as they are on a BNPL credit agreement.
(In comparing them to other wardrobes, there are no corner braces and the back of the wardrobes are essentially pressed cardboard)

Response received 23rd March 2011
“I am sorry but wardrobes are not designed to be built and then moved. We cannot help in this matter as it would be classed as customers own damage. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.”

After much to-ing and froing, with me quoing various bots of Sale of Goods Act, not fit for purpose etc the Littlewoods “furniture technician” attended my property, took a couple of photos of the pieces of wood and looked at the wardrobe still standing (wobbly). He produced a “report” (at cost of £45 to myself) which basically stated what had happened but offered no conclusion as to any manufacturing defect. I disputed the rep[ort and said it hasnt offered a conclusion but they wont accept this. I know I can commission an independent report (at a cost of £99 to me from the furniture ombudsman) and if the manufacturing fault is proven they said they will refund the cost of their report and only £50 for the independent (they only told me this week that it was capped after I advised that it could cost as much as £350 from the research I had done)

Is there anything else I can do? I have researched on the internet and I am not even confident that an independent report will prove any manufacturing fault and may prove to be a waste of money. They have yet to address the issue of the double wardrobe :mad:

eeyorebob

Aug 15, 2011
That sounds awful, its a good job that wardrobe was empty when you moved it! - let me get this straight, Littlewoods are suggsting that people buy a wardrobe then never MOVE!!! so if you move house you are supposed to leave the wardrobe in situ and then what? oh, yes thats right, buy more from Littlewoods <rolleyes> sorry but surely thats not right??

Did you get any further with this?

ke11

Aug 10, 2011
No further forward! I haven’t got the independent report done yet but think this may be my only option. When my hubby telephoned them a few weeks back, the customer service rep was actually really pleasant (how unusual!) and was shocked by our treatment stating she would elevate it to director level……still waiting for a response. :(

Pickle

Sep 12, 2011
If the wadrobes are freestanding then you can reasonably expect that they can be moved to do things like decorating and laying carpets without them falling to pieces and after such a short time too. They are lucky no one was injured when then fell apart!

It is not your responsibility within the first 6 months to prove that there is a fault, it is the retailers. Yours fell apart after a month

So, write them one last letter, sending it recorded delivery requesting a response within 14 working days. Advise them of what happened and what you expect to receive e.g. replacements or refund. Advise them if you do not get a satisfactory response you will take them to the small claims court. Keep your recorded delivery receipts.

Dont be afraid to follow through on this either, its not as scary as it sounds. The last time I checked it cost £25 to file a complaint to the small claims court. You can claim back a full refund, any damages to property (you will have to prove this) and any reasonable expenses, including the £25 it cost you to file the complaint. I would use this section to also claim back for the 'report' they made you pay for and for your recorded delivery.

I think you have a really good chance as its down to the retailer to prove the case against you rather than the other way around but the worse case scenario is it ends up costing you the £25.00 for filing the complaint.

The only thing I am not sure about is the limit on how much you can claim through this avenue so just check this first.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
ke11

The problem you have if I understand this right is that you assembled the wardrobes yourself i.e. they were flat pack?

If this is correct then it could be argued that they were not assembled properly. Obviously the report by Littlewoods did not throw any light on the problem and did not do what it was meant to do. If the report was not carried out properly you should claim that money back particulalry if it did not conclude what was the problem. If you believe the fault is with the wardrobes and not with the assembly then you should point out that under The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) it says: if goods break within the first six months after purchase then there is a presumption the goods were faulty when sold.

As it is up to them to prove otherwise I would not get an independant report. If you do go to the small claims court the cost up to £500 is £50 or £35 on line. You can claim a maximum of £5000 in the small claims for money claims.