6 month old car had door skins fitted, two years later badly rusted

jedums

Aug 15, 2011
Hello,
My car was purchased at the premises of a major dealer in Central Scotland, March 2009 as a *Star Car* trading up from the basic model on display to the Club edition Corsa (not on premises). Roughly six months old, I do not expect to be sold by this dealer, a car which has had some sort of trauma to the passenger side doors.

I noticed recently that the two doors were showing significant signs of rust and when I called them regarding this, I was encouraged by the sales managers quote “if that’s the case we’ll fix it, that’s the type of company we are”. Service department then instructed me to have Arnold Clark (not my dealer but independant assessor) Kilsyth accident repair centre assess the car and on Friday 5th August this happened. The manager of Arnold Clark confirmed that door skins had been fitted to both nearside doors at some point, and new doors and re-spray to nearside was now required to remedy the defects.

I again contacted my dealer and relayed this and offered to pass on Arnold Clarks contact details but this was deemed unnecessary as I should now report to my dealers service dept. who would assess for themselves. On Monday 8th August this occurred and again it was confirmed that two skins had been fitted to the doors at some point and the remedy now required was two new doors and a re-spray of the near side to rectify the defects. He then left to discuss this with a manager and 25 mins later he returned to state that one of the Used Car Sales managers was refusing liability on behalf of this dealership.

Where this manager and I disagree is that the car was not sold to me with “cosmetic” damage repairs (touch ups) but with significant repair work not stated in the sales procedure or with a reflection of this, on the cost paid by myself.

So here I am with a car badly rusting, having paid top whack (no discounts due to previous damage) and a dealer who says "nowt to do with us".

Have I any rights?

Best Regards