Right to cancel?

Mrs C

Oct 1, 2011
Can you tell me if the door step regulation covers me if i wasn't informed of my cancellation rights by the sales person.

I was given a rough sketch of some wardrobes that we'd discussed and asked to sign it, which I did. But upon look at the paperwork over 7 days later there is small print advising I was signing the terms and conditions on the back, which also contain details of the right to cancel. But I didn't even know they were there. Stupid I know, it was in a rush after 5 hours of the sales rep being there - I won't do it again

Thanks for any help.

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
Mrs C

How long exactly after you signed did you cancel?

Were the cancellation terms as prominant as the other information and set out in a separate box?

Did you receive a cancellation form?

Have you actually given them notice yet and if so what have they said?

Mrs C

Oct 1, 2011
Thank you so much for replying and sorry for the delay in responding, I had to log off to get kids tea and bed sorted.

How long exactly after you signed did you cancel? I haven't cancelled yet because I've only just found out about the door step right to cancel. It's about 1 month since the initial sales call but that's because we didn't want the survey until closer to the fitting date, which we haven't arranged yet. We've just found out the company isn't very reputable (the good feedback I found on the web appears to have been put on by the companies employees) and we didn't realise prior to this that we'd had the option to cancel within 7 days.

Were the cancellation terms as prominant as the other information and set out in a separate box? The terms were on the back of the sheet, which I wasn't even aware were there because the sheet was mainly graph type paper for drawing the wardrobe plan. It also had boxes for dimensions. There is a very small box in the bottom right corner with small text (smaller than all other text) advising terms on back and that by signing we were agreeing to those terms, but my husband was asked to simply sign to confirm he was happy with the plan of the wardrobes.

Did you receive a cancellation form?
The cancellation slip is with the terms on the back of this sheet, which I didn't know was even there. As soon as the sales rep left I put the kids to bed and because we weren't planning on having the wardrobes fitted for over a month I didn't look at the paper work until the surveyor arrived.

Have you actually given them notice yet and if so what have they said?
I only found out yesterday late afternoon that this company is connected to a kitchen firm with a very bad reputation which started to ring alarm bells but the office wasn't open today so I thought I would look into my position first.

Also, the product we were promised isn't what we're now getting. We were told Walnut surround with cream doors but the surveyor (he's self employed) said it's common for the company to fail to tell you that the carcases are all Beech, which we weren't told at point of sale. And the fitter who is also self employed can apparently adjust the fitting price, again we weren't told this - it was in the terms on the back of the diagram sheet.

I don't actually know if they have a copy of this drawing sheet because it doesn't look like a duplicate like the other paperwork I've got. If they can't prove that I've signed the terms surely they can't hold me to it anyway? (I can't be 100% sure of this though.

Thanks again for your help.

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
Mrs C

If you want to quote me click the speech bubble (yellow)on the toolbar and copy and paste the sentence in between the quote marks. It will make it easier for you.

Its difficult to advise you without seeing a copy of the contract documents.

What I can say is that you generally have 7 days to cancel the contract under The Cancellation of Contracts made in a Consumer's Home or Place of Work Etc. Regulations 2008 and you are outside this cancellation period.

Did you pay a deposit?

Also, the product we were promised isn't what we're now getting. We were told Walnut surround with cream doors but the surveyor (he's self employed) said it's common for the company to fail to tell you that the carcases are all Beech, which we weren't told at point of sale
When did you find this information out? If you have an agrrement for one thing and they supply another then they could be in breach of contract.

I don't actually know if they have a copy of this drawing sheet because it doesn't look like a duplicate like the other paperwork I've got. If they can't prove that I've signed the terms surely they can't hold me to it anyway? (I can't be 100% sure of this though.
If they read this, they will know now!

Mrs C

Oct 1, 2011
Did you pay a deposit?
Yes

When did you find this information out? If you have an agrrement for one thing and they supply another then they could be in breach of contract.
We weren't told about the beech carcases at point of sale, the follow up surveyor told us. They also had to reduce the size of a unit because the sales person measured incorrectly. The bigger size was agreed at point of sale but the surveyor said it would have to be smaller. We didn't feel we had any option but to agree to the change because we'd paid a deposit but now we're at the point where we'll have units in a colour we don't want and a unit smaller than agreed.

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
Mrs C

We weren't told about the beech carcases at point of sale, the follow up surveyor told us
At that point you should have cancelled or insisted on the carcasses you agreed on originally. How long ago was this information imparted to you?

It sounds as if, without seeing you contract documents, that you have entered into a legally binding contract with the company for the supply and installation of the wardrobes and you are therefore bound to honour your side of the contract.

Did you pay the deposit by credit card?

I would be careful about paying them aymore money until you have seen and inspected the wardrobes to make sure they are what you have ordered.

Last edited:

Mrs C

Oct 1, 2011
We were told verbally that the wardrobes were Walnut with Cream Doors and thought this is what was written down but having looked at the wording on the drawing it states Walnut Surround. It looks they send out a sales person to do a basic drawing but once you've paid the deposit and signed the terms and conditions they have you tied in.

I can see I have been completely screwed but we either pay £3,000 for a wardrobe we weren't expecting or try to fight this.

Having looked at the terms and conditions they say the next payment should be paid at the technical survey, which was completed on Friday, but we didn't do because we were paying cash. They want us to pay this in to their bank account on Monday but think I will have to get a relative to pay the rest by card now. I'm worried if we miss the payment they will have us on breach of contract. I suppose I need to speak to them to see what they say when I question the colour of the units etc.

At the end of the day what we are getting isn't what we expected.

Do you think I should go and take the contract to a solicitor to get a proper view point on it?

I really appreciate all your help.