ps3 ylod no response from game

lamccall

Oct 12, 2011
I bought a ps3 which has recently got the dreaded yellow light of death and I have been trying to get game to replace it or pay for repairs. Please see correspondence below. I have heard nothing from them since and I was wondering if my next mail should threaten a small court claim and if so how to word it. Thanks for any help.

First Email to Game (sent 19/09/11)
"On 17th December 2007 I bought a PlayStation 3 console from you for £300 in Bangor, N.Wales store. I have proof of purchase via bank statement as attached. This week my PlayStation 3 has broken down by a known manufacture fault (yellow light of death) and therefore is not of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose I would like you to repair or replace my console. I believe I am entitled to this under consumer law (the Sale of Goods Act).

Please respond to my complaint within 14 days from receipt of this email"

Games reply (recieved 28/09/11)
Thank you for your email.

I would like to apologise for the delay in our response and assure you that this is not our usual response time.

I am sorry to hear of the difficulties that you have been experiencing with your PS3 console.
As you may be aware, the guarantee period on this console is 12 months from the date of purchase. Within this period, if your console develops a manufacturing fault we would be happy to either refund or exchange this for you (subject to product availability).
Outside of this period your console would be covered under the Sales of Goods Act 1979, dependent upon the nature of the fault, however, when considering the age of
your machine we feel that it has performed within expectation and has proved to be durable with over 3 years usage.
You may however choose to contact the manufacturers Sony who do offer a chargeable repair service.

Regards

My Reply -unanswered- (sent 28/09/11)
Thank you for your reply
I wish to claim a replacement or repair from you as my contract of sale is with you not the manufacturer. A Playstation 3 is a high end dvd/blueray player it is therefore unreasonable for it to last any less than 8 years. My statutory rights state that you shall replace or repair any product free of charge, which includes post and packaging, if the product lasts for an unsatisfactory period of time. You even state yourself that any rights you give us when purchasing a product doesn’t affect our statutory rights.
Note that Sony quote £129 to replace the Playstation 3 console with a refurbished model.
Please arrange for my Playstation 3 to be repaired or replaced or reimburse me the cost of using Sony's service within 14 days from receipt of this letter
Thank You,