Macbook pro / PC world

ejam77

Nov 4, 2011
Hi

I bought a Macbook Pro, my first ever Mac, in February 2010 at a cost of £1300 a huge investment for my small business. Its been working perfectly untill around a month ago. It now appears to have a wiring problem as it almost burns out to a blue screen on opening, however this can be corrected temporarily if you simply move the screen a little, which suggests it could be a hardware issue ? Everything else works fine but this renders it useless which is a huge issue as its prohibiting my work for my business.

I took the mac into PC world to see if they could help in the first instance aware that it is outside the 12 months warranty, but perhaps being the seller and under the sale of goods act I wondered if they might help.

Not so, their first response was batting me off to an apple technical support outside of Leeds, which is a big inconvenience. After demanding to speak to the manager , and explaining my story he then asked a colleague to ring their own tech support to see if they could do anything further. The answer came back that they could and I should open an out of warranty claim at a cost of £50. If the fault was then hardware Id get this back.

After asking them to make the call for me and set this up instore ( which it appeared they did, walking away and coming back 3 mins later confirming the price ?!) they then told me I needed to book this from home.

Now this morning I have made the call to set this up only to be passed form pillar to post and then find that actually they dont do this and that unfortunately I've been misadvised and they couldnt find the call from the store to them so can do nothing about it ( surprise!).

If this is a hardware fault and not of my own doing do I have any rights under the act under durability even at 21 months?

All help appreciated , thank you.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi there,
you most certainly do have a case here under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) under Section 14 (2) for 'Satisfactory Quality' .
With s.14(2) goods are meant to be of satisfactory quality and last a reasonable length of time.
The meaning of satisfactory is determined by the following factors:
Price / Description / Reputable brand?.. etc

As Apple are most certainly a higher value item, the reasonable length of time could be determined by this, also with regards to the reputable brand factor... Apple most certainly is.

However an exact length of time, i cannot decide upon, it would be up to a court.
Saying this, you're generally looking at around 5 years, perhaps more...

Your next actions should involve the following:
Write to PC World Head office (can probably find the address on pc world webby) , explaining the situation, and that if no action is taken by pc world, you are willing to take legal action against them (only say if you ACTUALLY are).. send this letter by a recorded method (for proof of sending and receiving)
Await your response...
If all is well and they are willing to do something about it, just follow their steps..

(If not is all well, you can take PC World to the Small Claims Court as the goods are not of satisfactory quality.. If you are not saavy in law, you should get a solicitor to do all the work for you... You can file for a hearing in the SCC online or by visiting a SCC in person (if you win, PC World pay all expenses, if not, you pay - prices found both online and in court)... though court should be your LAST option)

note: You should not have to pay any fees for repair, however you may be expected to pay for the delivery costs (which should be refunded by PC World later on)
Also note: you should not get fobbed off to the manufacturer, your contract is with PC World, not Apple... Everything must go via PC World... :)

Hope this has helped.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Sorry, forgot to add:
any letter that you do send, be sure to photocopy it first, or keep a record of it too..
this is because if the case went to the SCC, you can use the copied letters as proof of what the content was..

Be sure to give PC World a chance to sort out the issue before you go to court though :)