On Button wont work on ACER ASPIRE

nitafeeta

Nov 7, 2011
I purchased an ACER ASPIRE desktop computer for my partner from Currys. It is just out of warranty and Guarantee. I have already told both the manufacturer and the seller before the warranty ran out and they said it was operator error basically. The problem was intermittent at the time. I can't switch it on at all now. I did ( I wish I hadn't) tell them that my partner had trouble with his hands ( he has little sense of touch). The on button wont work at all now. I have no computer now.

I was told about the SGA (sale of Goods act). It states that the item purchased should be fit for purpose for a period of 6 years. I found out about this on line... It seems that this is a common problem with this computer, other users cannot boot up due to the 'power button' issue.

What can I do? I have the receipt.

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
nitafeeta

The Sales of Goods Act does not state goods have to be fit for purpose for six years. How it works in effect is that the goods are judged on the quality, price etc. So for example a £500 top brand washing machine might be expected to last longer than a £150 budget make.

I would suggest that the on/off button under normal operating circumstances should last longer than 12/13 months and if you have already told the manufacturer/seller and it is a known problem you should have a good chance of claiming a free repair but you will no doubt have to be firm and stick to your guns.