Neighbours Builders Damaged my roof

Mieko74

Nov 15, 2011
Our Neighbours were getting their roof replaced and also some guttering. They asked to have some scaffolding on our property so they could replace a short bit of guttering on our property, without cost to ourselves.
We agreed they could replace the guttering, but after they had their roof replaced I found that their builders had also removed and then replaced slate tiles from our roof adjacent to their property, about a meter in width (nowhere near the guttering) and then when re-fixing them to the battens damaged the wood, some of this splitting and breaking off. I know that this is new damage as the wood is clearly recently split and I previously went up in the loft to take some basic digital photographs before the work was undertaken and there was no damage then. I have also taken some after the work was completed. There is also some rubble in our attic now and a layer of dust across everything.
We gave no permission for them to go on our roof nor remove tiles and the damage is such that causes concern that our slate tiles are no-longer secure and are more susceptible to fall off in adverse weather.
Our roof is the original one, at least 100 years old and is in need of some repair but their actions have made it worse. Any advice on what we could do would be appreciated, we get on pretty well with our neighbours hence we agreed they could do the gutter work. We were not informed there would be any work done to our roof.

Cheers :)

Stashnb

May 15, 2012
I know that this is a late response but can you tell me what has since happened because I am in a very similar predicament