WHY won't Dell Support refund my money?

Juliano

Nov 25, 2011
Hello

This is my problem. On the 15th Novemenber 2011, I had a severed virus infection on my Dell computer. To add to my distress I am not technically savvy, and others had warned me that the virus I had which was rapidly infecting files before my eyes, over 5000 at one count--that it was 'Ramnit' which I was warned could mean a 'wipe'. I have worked so hard on research, and have many files with no back up, so I was desperate to have this problem fixed.

I contacted Dell Support, trusting that they could help. The Indian technican (they are in India) who took over my mouse was looking at the files infected and at the windows programms that had been shut off, and was saying "Oh My God" ove rna dover which was hardly making me feel any better. He then warned me my computer could be at the moment hacked by anyone, and that it could shut down at any moment, and then pushed this deal of £160 incl. VAT' which included the tehncial help, plus a years tehnical support. In desperation I agreed. But no sooner had bhe begun to use the mouse the computer went blue-screen. I was in bits and didn't know what to do. I had even forgotten to jot down their help support number and couldn't use the computer. Eventually I get call from them and they are now depending on me having another computer, or a fried with one. I didn't so they were helpless. I was really upset, and of course I asked for a refund, but they refused.

Eventually another local firm came and have fixed the computer, and installed a good security software and fixed for £85. They told me Dell had misled me that this problem could be fixed from a distance.

I have recently been in touch with Dell Support via emails, and they have agreed to refund £59, but will not give me total refund. I have aksed them to give me the detials WHY they will not refund me the full money I handed over to them, but as of since yesterday sending this messeage, they have ignored it. I resent request for this info earlier this morning.

So I NEED to know now what rights I have to cancel that contract for £100? I jma not happy with their incompetent help, and certainly don't desire a year's support, and just want my money back which I am entitled to because they haven't done ANYTHING? What can I do please?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Under the distance selling regulations you have 7 days to cancel the service assuming you informed them of your wish to cancel within this 7 days, you're ok. If it was outside the 7 days, the regs also state the 7 days starts after confirmation of the order was received so you may be able to go for this option.

Write to them (email will suffice) and confirm your request to cancel the agreement from __ date, make sure you keep a copy of the email along with the date it was sent, not just the content. They then need to cancel your agreement and refund all your money.

Hope this helps.

Juliano

Nov 25, 2011
Under the distance selling regulations you have 7 days to cancel the service assuming you informed them of your wish to cancel within this 7 days, you're ok. If it was outside the 7 days, the regs also state the 7 days starts after confirmation of the order was received so you may be able to go for this option.

Write to them (email will suffice) and confirm your request to cancel the agreement from __ date, make sure you keep a copy of the email along with the date it was sent, not just the content. They then need to cancel your agreement and refund all your money.

Hope this helps.
On the 15th of November, which is more than 7 days ago, I immediately asked for a refund, but I was almost screamed out telling me I couldn't get any refund. When I pressed I was ONLY told I could get the £59. However because I go to pices when techniocal things happen--I didn't even realize I had a default email---I thought it had all gone with the wipe, hence also the reason for a delay in communication with Dell, but I also noticed that they had said they would send me an email of confirmation on the 15th regarding their refunding me the £59. So my problem now I suppose is it SEEMS I agreed to accept their refund of £59, but I did so because I was very distrssed, and felt over-powered and was fearful of not even getting the £59 if I pushed it. But the fact is that they did not inform me I had 7 days to ask for a refund of the rest of my money. What do you suggest in this circumstance?:

1) I agreed to only £59 on 15th November by phone

2) But HAD demanded full refund but did not know my rights at the time

3) it has gone over 7 days

Ie., should I mention in the message that I did ask for a total refund on the 15th, but was not told my right regarding the contract by Dell, nor did I know personally, and although it is over 7 days, I am now asking to cancel it now I know my rights, and seeing I have had no support?

Juliano

Nov 25, 2011
juliano

did you receive an email confirming the service you had purchased?
I checked just a while before and I cannot see one.

Oh sorry, I had been looking a day later. on the 14th they HAD sent me a receipt. So the problem is that I did NOT know my rights because I could not access my computer for days whilse I had to get it fixed and had no access to another one. When I asked for a refund I was not told my rights by the people over the phone.

Juliano

Nov 25, 2011
what do you think of this draft --do you think it is too personal?

In 2006, I chose to buy a Dell computer, and in the three years following, from 2006, when still under guarantee, I was very happy with the kind helpful support I received from Dell Support, but I have been left very upset in this last ecnounter with Dell support, at a time I was very under a great deal of stress.

I not technically good on computers, but do a lot of research of my own interests and have many files, and when I found I had a very serious virus infection affecting thousands of files, etc, I was really opset and at a loss because I was so worried about losing all the work I have done.

In desperation, I contacted Dell Support, and at the time because of the threat to my computer gave money to you for £160 --which included the work to be done to fix the virus, plus a years technical support. But you failed me concerning the fixing of my present problem because the technician didn't warn me what would happen if the computer broke down, even though he warned it might. As a result when it did, after a minute of him taking over the controls, the screen went blue and that was that. The Dell technician eventually phoned me up and tried to revive the computer with my help but couldn't, and then I was asked if I had a computer which I didn't, which he said he could continue if I had one. So he was helpless. Now it is true that this part has been refunded---IS to be refunded as I have an email confirming it. But when I asked for a total refund on the phone on 14th November 2011, I was shouted at that I could not have a refund at all, and I had to insist until they said I could have £59.
I was not told that I can have seven days to cancel my contract.
I then could not get access to my computer and had to find a firm to fix it which cost me £85. I had no access to any other computer at this time.
All I am asking for now is a refund of my £100 which I am entitled to, but my recent emails to Dell Support are being ignored which I just find very upsetting. Please do the decent thing and refund the rest of my money?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
No it states the facts fairly clearly but I would quote the distance selling regulations so they are clear you are claiming your money back under the regulations.

I'm still not absolutely clear of what date you first asked them to refund your money which is the date you can use to make your claim.

It is also very possible that if you are still dealing with their 'helpdesk' in India, they are not aware of the true situation, their remit will be to help solve pc problems!!

I would instead write to the complaints department, usually situated at their Head Office, they will be in a much better position to deal with your complaint.

Juliano

Nov 25, 2011
No it states the facts fairly clearly but I would quote the distance selling regulations so they are clear you are claiming your money back under the regulations.

I'm still not absolutely clear of what date you first asked them to refund your money which is the date you can use to make your claim.

It is also very possible that if you are still dealing with their 'helpdesk' in India, they are not aware of the true situation, their remit will be to help solve pc problems!!

I would instead write to the complaints department, usually situated at their Head Office, they will be in a much better position to deal with your complaint.
I FIRST awsked them to refund my money the very same day their support failed me. I was told no, and I felt their manner was aggressive, and then agreed when they said they would just pay back £59. But later when I got computer running I told them I wanted full refund and still got an email that they would only refund £59. Remember these people are in India, so it is hard to 'write to their help desk' because of that. It is better via email. I still have proof it is from them because thats their support website i sent my money to.

I recently found this, and am at odds as to know what it means, because I am not sure of difference in currency. These people only seem to want to have ongoing conversation when they think they can gwet money out of you. For example they are ignoring emails regarding this problem and when I found this email in another email address (ie, they didn't even bother to send it to the one I had first contacted them on) and tried to get further info, yet again they just ignore my posts.
here is message I found:

Dear ,
We hereby confirm that a refund transaction for Annual PC Technical Support $199.99 - Full Version was made on 11/23/2011.
Please find the transaction details at the end of this message (You may print this page for your record)
For Customer Support, please contact the seller, Techvedic Inc, at the following email address: (Please allow the seller 2 business days to respond).
Best regards,
The Plimus Team - online reseller for Techvedic Inc
** PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL AS THIS ADDRESS IS NOT CHECKED **

IMPORTANT NOTE:
The refund has been issue and may take up to 5 business days to appear in your account.
For refund confirmation, please contact your processor company (credit card, Paypal,etc. or bank)."

So what do you think? They first offeren me £59 and they have sent email confirming that amount will be refunded--that was on another email account I have.

Later, after me protesting and saying i wanted a full refund I found the message on another email account.

What do you think? Are you confused like me?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
It is a bit strange $199 isn't £59 but then again, it isn't £100 either, not at todays exchange rates!!

How did they get hold of this 2nd email address?

I wouldn't wait to see what materialises into your account, although if you do get a full refund you can let the matter drop, I would still submit a formal complaint to Dells head office:

UK Head Office Contacts
Tel: + 44 1344 860456Fax: + 44 1344 860187
Address: Dell UK
The Boulevard
Cain Road, Dell Campus
Bracknell, Berkshire
RG12 1LF
United Kingdom

Good luck, lets hope the full refund drops into your account in the next few days!