Hotel taking a non refundable depoist

chrisay59

Nov 28, 2011
Hi, all.

Please forgive me if I have posted this question in the wrong area but I have just joined.

My question is this;

Last week my wife and I were looking for a New Year break, we found one, and on their Special Offers Page, it stated that they had a 3 night package Dinner, Bed and Breakfast at £395 with two rooms left. I contacted the owner and paid our £200 depoist, (it stated on their website that this was non-refundable and we were urged to ensure we had Travel Insurance).

On Saturday, the written confirmation arrived in the post, to our horror it stated that the rate was actually £395 per person, and not per room! I then rang the hotel, explained the misunderstanding, and that we could not possible afford £790 for a three night break, the owner was very aggressive, told us that we had lost our depoist and if he could not re-let the room, then we would be liable for the full amount. I then said that this was totally unreasonable, it was a geniune mistake, and that his website was VERY misleading, his reply was "then we will see you in court"!

Please can someone help!!!

Regards

Chris and Karen

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
chrisay59

A deposit is generally not refundable as it is good faith for entering into a legally binding contract with the seller. The seller could sue you for the balance if he cannot sell the room again as you are in breach of contract.

However, if you believe the offer has been misrepresented to you then then this would alter things as the contract could be rendered invlaid. You should take a screen shot of the website to prove your case.

Can you give me the address of the website either by return or email? I will have a look myself.